• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition, clearing and grading

Shimmy1

Landclearer, this is probably a different thread but how do you like the Kubota CTL? We are looking.....don't want Bobcat, we want ISO controls, saw and sat in a Kubota at Big Iron last week. I really like the excavator-style window in front. Call me crazy but sometimes it's nice to have the front open while working. Without having to remove the damn door.

Landclearer

Hey Cd,

It was boring but not much fun;). We have three more bridges to do and we do them when the course is closed. As for the shoulders, we always do the final grade after the asphalt is down. It was only one lift so we do have to be careful. No curb so no matter what, we would have to get dirt to the top of the asphalt.

We did decide on a loader, went with the Volvo L70. It sure is a nice machine. It is so smooth including the hydraulics, transmission and ride. I was on our 928G all day yesterday and there is a difference. It is a good machine but the Volvo is so much more operator friendly,

Landclearer

Shimmy, I would not hesitate to recommend or buy another Kubota. We have had zero trouble from the machine. I can't say enough good about it. I pushes great, has good reach which is nice because our triaxles have high sides, comfortable and yes I also love the front door/window. We had a Cat for a very short time and I always hated the door. If the bucket was up a little you could not get out. The Kubota is very neat and well engineered and easy to service. The only thing ours does not have is a radio which they did not offer when we got ours.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Your projects are as varied as mine LC.:D

Shimmy1

Have you ever ran next to a Cat? I just want to be sure. Have ran another guys 299C a lot and until last week thought that's what we were going to get. Now that I know I can get ISO controls in other brands it kind of opens things up.

Landclearer

Shimmy,

We had a Cat for about 100 hours. I think it was a 289D, We hated it. If you were trying to grade and raise the bucket, it would not move then it would jump sometimes 3 inches. They flashed software and I think changed a valve and no luck. It wound up on Ironplanet and was sold. We got the Kubota and fell in love. I think if you ran one you would be very pleased!

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
landclearer have you seen the grading bucket that volvo makes for there loaders it looks like a large skid steer bucket with a long bottom and low profile so you can see cutting edge i've have never seen one in person but would like to try one out seems like a good idea they used to be in the volvo brochures seen one on utube also

Shimmy1

I'm going to call Titan on Monday see if they would be willing to demo a Case and Fargo Tractor about the Kubota. Does Kubota have ride control?

Landclearer

Clintm, ours will have the standard bucket with the rounded back but I have seen that style bucket you are talking about. I think their light material buckets are designed that way.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I've noticed quite a few Kubota CTL's running in my area. One of the independent rental houses has a couple.

So edumacate me on the control patterns since all I have ever ran is old school Bobcat hand/foot controls.

Shimmy1

ISO is Cat style, left hand lever runs the drive (direction, steering) right hand lever is joystick control for loader. H-pattern is Case style. Forward/back on levers is forward/back, Left lever side to side is loader, Right lever is bucket. I can run Case/H pattern but look like worst rookie you ever saw.

mitch504

I have very little skid steer experience, (probably less than a weeks worth, spread over 28 years). I do ok with H pattern, am pitiful with Bobcat, never tried ISO.

Landclearer

CM, if you can run your 5G you can run a Kubota skidsteer:D only difference is you hold the left lever forward or back instead of having a detent to lock it in forward or reverse. The further you move it the faster it goes. They also have a gas pedal which I like.