• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition, clearing and grading

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
6 knockout boxes in 2.25 days, bless your heart.:D That's a lot of sawing, sledgehammer work and mudding.:notworthy

Landclearer

Sounds like you don't like knockout boxes:D we cut a ring off the ADS pipe and used it to mark the holes then test fit it. Do you do it on the top or in the hole? Worst part of the whole job was setting the frames and grates. One box need about 3 courses of brick.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Sounds like you don't like knockout boxes:D we cut a ring off the ADS pipe and used it to mark the holes then test fit it. Do you do it on the top or in the hole? Worst part of the whole job was setting the frames and grates. One box need about 3 courses of brick.

No - I hate them.:D

Used two a week ago because we didn't have the lead time on a CO to get round structures pre-cast. For knockout boxes what we do is calculate where the pipe needs to come in the box at the invert, layout the hole and cut it before it goes in the ground. It's a lot easier to stand on the box and let gravity work the saw through the cut than try to do it in the hole. Also the dust dissipates easier.

Actually the round 48" manholes with pre-cut holes are cheaper than knock-out boxes here. I send the drawings to my supplier and they either cast the holes or core them at their yard. It's so much faster, less labor and mudding than a knockout box. Just set the manhole and slide the pipe in. No need for bricks, just stiff mud to seal the pipe.

It's funny but I don't mind setting grates, actually I like to have my structures 2-3 courses of brick low from grade to allow adjustments in the field.

We get our RCP and structures either from Foley or Hanson.

Landclearer

I don't mind them to much. We keep the holes tight so there is no need for brick but knocking the holes is a pain. Depending on the job, we use both knockout and engineered boxes. We never ever use round ones. I have always wanted to have manhole style boxes with the rubber boot built in so all you need to do is tighten it atound your pipe.

We also do the figuring and make the hole on the top. I have seen some guys do I in th hole though( no thanks)

Most of our rcp comes from Rinker and we use a local company for our boxes. They are a little more expensive but very well made.

Landclearer

We started a pretty neat job this week. We are doing a 5000 foot long trail for a shooting club. They are going to have 6 shooting stations throughout the woods and field. We are mowing trails though the woods and filling the path then putting stone on top of that.

Started mulching this week as well as the borrow pit.

Fueling up the 300.

gun range 014.jpg

The area to be cleared, about 40 trees to come down.

gun range 011.jpg

Started stripping topsoil.

gun range 010.jpg

Last pass on the topsoil.

gun range 005.jpg

First pass on the slope.

gun range 004.jpg

Landclearer

Didn't get a lot of pics this week but did get a couple.

Got a fair amount of dirt stockpiled at the gun range job.

pepperdam 013.jpg

pepperdam 014.jpg

Started a little clearing job this week also. Not enough trash to bring the grinder but to much to haul so we decided to haul it:confused:

pepperdam 012.jpg

pepperdam 010.jpg

pepperdam 003.jpg

Fastdirt

Now that's how you haul tree trash!! Nice stripping and ditching pics too. That spoil/stock pile looks good to0. I'd enjoy getting on top that pile with a little dozer and mindlessly forming a berm. Is that gonna be used as bullet stopper or is getting moved out... I'm sure will get the pics soon.

Landclearer

Hey FD,

Yes you cannot beat that trailer for hauling trash. Alfab did a great job on that trailer, we couldn't get by without it.

The dirt is going to be used on the trails. They are talking about a pistol range that would need a berm behind it. As far as dirt goes around here, that is about the best stuff you could want to get on with a dozer and build a berm.

Landclearer

Did an interesting job this week. Had to help a guy install a new pump station to replace one that failed. Had to wellpoint it because we dug around 10 feet deep. Once installed we poured 10 yds of concrete around it to keep it from floating. Had to put water in it while we poured the concrete.

We hit a 2 inch propane line that apparently nobody knew was there even though it had a tracer wire.

Job turned out good, everyone was happy.

pump station 019.jpg

pump station 016.jpg

pump station 014.jpg

pump station 010.jpg

pump station 008.jpg

Landclearer

After many months of working things out, we now have our dyed mulch going. Here are a few pics of it in action.

pump station 003.jpg

pump station 002.jpg

pump station 001.jpg

pump station 006.jpg

pump station 004.jpg

Sterff

Nice mulch pictures. It's amazing all of the machinery needed to make it.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I'm always amazed at all the things you guys do and the equipment you have.:drinkup

On the propane line, it seems here at least that the utility line locating service has went down hill over the last few years even though it wasn't that good to begin with. We cut a cable/internet line at the school project we did. I had a current locate number and paint on the ground including orange marks through the parking lot but they didn't catch that line, although it came off the same pole.:beatsme

That's awesome on the dyed mulch. That is something that is on my long range plan to get into. Are ya'll planning on just selling bulk or bagging it for retail? There's money in the bagged mulch for retail if you can get in with distributors.

Good jobs as always, it's nice to see professional work.:thumbsup

Landclearer

I'm always amazed at all the things you guys do and the equipment you have.:drinkup

On the propane line, it seems here at least that the utility line locating service has went down hill over the last few years even though it wasn't that good to begin with. We cut a cable/internet line at the school project we did. I had a current locate number and paint on the ground including orange marks through the parking lot but they didn't catch that line, although it came off the same pole.:beatsme

That's awesome on the dyed mulch. That is something that is on my long range plan to get into. Are ya'll planning on just selling bulk or bagging it for retail? There's money in the bagged mulch for retail if you can get in with distributors.

Good jobs as always, it's nice to see professional work.:thumbsup

Hey CM. I am amazed at some of the things we do also:eek: Maybe I should say the things we somehow get involved in.

Not sure about your area but I know the locate guys around here are way overworked so I do cut them some slack. The one guy we deal mostly is pretty good and if you get in a bind, he will come out if you ask him to well before the 3 days is up. It is getting worse every day with all the boring they are doing now. Back in the day, if you were going to dig up a 48 inch oak tree you were pretty sure there was nothing under but now with boring you never know.

As of right now we are only doing bulk. I am not saying we will not bag in the future but we are pretty well slammed with our bulk guys. Everyone is moving away from natural mulch because it fades so we figured we better get in it before it was to late. If you get to a point where you are getting serious about it, shoot me a pm and I would be glad to talk about it. We did a ton of investigating and thinking before we jumped in.

Landclearer

Couple pics from this week. We cleared a lot and filled. Took about 900 yards of fill.

range 014.jpg

range 007.jpg

We also went back to the gun range job and started moving dirt for the trails.

range 002.jpg

range1.jpg

range2.jpg