• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition, clearing and grading

Landclearer

I think it should be some sort of law that a PM or an engineer should have to work in the field for 10 years before they get to be in charge. Just like you said, if it is sunny they think you should be working. The job with the logs in the pics above, they are in a big rush and did not care if it was raining so they wanted it cleared. Sure are doing a lot of mucking now because of it.

My favorite thing is laying pipe down a 10 foot easement 3 foot below the water table and they want to know why you are getting so close to the trees and putting dirt around them.

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
that's why I quit doing grading job's years ago the superintendents started out as a laborer if they where lucky a carpenter and worked their way up and knowed how to build the whole job from the clearing to the flashing on the roof and there were no PM's . now they can't find their way to the job without GPS. You would be surprised how much concrete I get every day .wett and just poured because they either forgot to cancel it or poured it wrong

Last edited:

Landclearer

The good ones are hard to come by for sure. It's surprising how they get by with knowing so little. Most PM's are just paper shufflers but every now and then you will find a good one. Can't beat experience!

Landclearer

Doing some clearing on a pond we are going to dig as well as a park that some of the dirt will go. If anyone needs some palm logs let me know:D I figured I would also put a pic of the 63 rake on there since there are several guys that liked it.

op 003.jpg

op 007.jpg

op 009.jpg

op 011.jpg

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
LC what do ya'll do with the palms? Are they any good for mulch?

Landclearer

Unfortunately palms are good for nothing. We grind them up and compost them. If you need some we can make you a real good deal on them:rolleyes: The only other thing we do with the mulch from them is make temporary roads to travel in the sand.

justingiffi

Landclearer, saw that you had a lil pete and had the Cat 315 behind it. Wondered how it handled the 315 on the tag? braking? power? etc.

Thanks,

Justin

Landclearer

Landclearer, saw that you had a lil pete and had the Cat 315 behind it. Wondered how it handled the 315 on the tag? braking? power? etc.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin, I does good pulling the 315. We will move it on short hauls but use the lowboy if we are going any distance. It has 300hp and the trailer has air brakes so it does pretty good. I would prefer a 25 ton trailer but the 20 ton does ok.

mitch504

Unfortunately palms are good for nothing. We grind them up and compost them. If you need some we can make you a real good deal on them:rolleyes: The only other thing we do with the mulch from them is make temporary roads to travel in the sand.

They make pretty good forts. :D

Colorado Digger

LC, Good thread!, It sure is neat to see what others have to deal with in different working conditions. I noticed you guys have gravel boxes on all the trucks, how do you deal with all the c&d? Does your long trailer have a barn door? I guess if you are mulching everything you don't need high lift tailgates. But for the stumps and other strangely sized stuff the needs to be dumped and can't be mulched? Is the Volvo loader holding up well? I'm going to be looking to upgrade my loader and dozer for 2015, also would like some new fleet pickups, but that may have to wait. We are back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off and over 2' of snow and the temps are in the teens. Ya'' deal with rain and quiksand and we deal with snow and frost.

Best Regards, CD

Landclearer

LC, Good thread!, It sure is neat to see what others have to deal with in different working conditions. I noticed you guys have gravel boxes on all the trucks, how do you deal with all the c&d? Does your long trailer have a barn door? I guess if you are mulching everything you don't need high lift tailgates. But for the stumps and other strangely sized stuff the needs to be dumped and can't be mulched? Is the Volvo loader holding up well? I'm going to be looking to upgrade my loader and dozer for 2015, also would like some new fleet pickups, but that may have to wait. We are back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off and over 2' of snow and the temps are in the teens. Ya'' deal with rain and quiksand and we deal with snow and frost.

Best Regards, CD

Thanks CD. I agree other peoples work is always more interesting than ours. Yes the big trailer has a barn door and we wish the others did as well. Well the little Pete does but that is more for access to shovel asphalt out of the bed than hauling debris. We will haul concrete in the one tri axle since it has a Hardox body. The other tri axle does not haul any debris at all.the loader is doing good. We have been using it sporadically but is about to go to work. Great machine to operate for sure.

We took off 3 days for the holidays but have been getting rain on regular basis. I love the snow but I feel for you. Rain and quicksand is a lot easier than snow and frozen ground.

clintm

Occupation
I did see a show the other day where some of the old fort's were built out of them and the cannon balls would just bounce off them

Landclearer

I did see a show the other day where some of the old fort's were built out of them and the cannon balls would just bounce off them

Fort Moultrie was built out if them. I guarantee a cannon ball would bounce off of them. The things are nothing but stringy fibers and water.

Colorado Digger

LC, Did you all look at the next size up with the wheel loaders? L90 or 938? Does the 2.5 yard fit you all well? I have a 2.5 yarder now and feel like the 3.3 maybe a good fit.

Regards, CD

Landclearer

LC, Did you all look at the next size up with the wheel loaders? L90 or 938? Does the 2.5 yard fit you all well? I have a 2.5 yarder now and feel like the 3.3 maybe a good fit.

Regards, CD
CD, we did try a 938 and we hated the hystat trans in the K series. We have a 928 and the L70 and they both do everything we need. The L70 has a 3 yard bucket and with the rollback the way it is, getting 4 yards at a time is no problem. It also does real good lifting boxes, better than the 928. I am not sure about your Volvo dealer but I would give one a try.

clintm

Occupation
we have to be careful in our soil's over here with wheel loaders because the weight of the bigger machines will pump the sub grade out and ruin it.