1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Demolition, clearing and grading

Discussion in 'Showtime!' started by Landclearer, May 18, 2014.

1. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    LC is it more economical to chip those hardwoods instead of sending it to the mill as pulpwood?

Like the '63 with the rake.:thumbsup

2. Landclearer

Landclearer Senior Member

Hey CM, in this case it was not worth hauling them all the way to the mill. I guess it about 50 miles one way to the mill and we have our spring mulch orders coming up so we need a lot of hardwood mulch and it is a short haul to our stockpile. Yeah I like the rake on the 63 also. After you run a trackloader with a rake you would never want to get on a wheel loader again and try to grub.:mad:

3. JD8875

JD8875 Senior Member

Love the 63 with a rake! That would be an awesome machine to work in the timber. Are the teeth on the rake heavy enough to grub stumps and clear with? Or more for stacking?

John

4. Landclearer

Hey John,

Oh yeah you can clear with it. Stumps, trees it does not matter. That is a Cat rake for a 950 that we had the backs changed to fit the 63. That is the second one we have done and never had so much as a cracked weld.

5. Stump Knocker

Stump Knocker Well-Known Member

Retired
    Looks like a Pemberton root rake.
    I have only saw 1 with a busted weld.

STUMP KNOCKER

6. Landclearer

Stump Knocker, it is a Cat work tool, we got it from an auction that our local Cat dealer was having and got a heck of a deal on it.

7. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

How do you like the kubota kx080? do you have any pics of it?

8. Landclearer

Hey Nedly,

Yes we like the machine. It is strong and smooth and well balanced. I would not mind if it were just a little bit faster on the boom lift when digging deep but it has been real good and no mechanical issues at all.

Attached Files:

9. Landclearer

Sorry for the odball picture in there. Here are a few more.

kx080 022.jpg

kx080 023.jpg

10. Landclearer

Now a few work pics from this week. We got some fill for the pool demo this week. Should get that finish graded tomorrow and finished ready for forming. Also a couple pics of a little lot I cut with our buncher.

kx080 026.jpg

kx080 027.jpg

kx080 024.jpg

kx080 025.jpg

11. Landclearer

I know some of you guys have seen these and or used them but I figured it was something different. We get this guy to put underdrain in for us anytime we are going to be well under the water table with our storm sewer pipe. Here are a couple pics of the machine and installation.

kx080 029.jpg

kx080 030.jpg

kx080 031.jpg

kx080 032.jpg

12. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

Thanks for the info and pics LC. How many hours on the kubota now?

13. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

That under drain machine is awesome! How many feet per day with that beast!

14. Landclearer

I think it has between 750 and 1000 hours on it now. I think he can do somewhere around 2000 feet a day if he does not have to start and stop to much. The runs we are doing are short runs anywhere from 150 to 300 feet so by the time he gets going, he has to start all over again.

15. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

How does the kubota lift? Do you think it could handle 4000 LBS? Thats what 1/2 of a 1000 gallon concrete septic tank weighs around here, so it would be nice to be able to set one of those.

16. Landclearer

I am not sure on the exact lift capacity but I have set precast catch basins before. I wish it was on the job with the trencher, the concrete boxes are there and have all the weights written on them. I would try to find one around 4000 and see if it would lift it.

17. Colorado Digger

Colorado Digger Senior Member

Somehow my last post just got erased, all but the last sentence. I had a 307b that had great lifting power but that was before so many of them came with swing booms.
    How does the underdrain work? He installs the pipe lower than all of the work you do and it dewaters the whole site? Do you dig his tie-ins in with a hoe? Where does that water go? do you end up pumping it somewhere else? Interesting for sure. Thanks for the fotos.

CD

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  18. Landclearer

Hi Cd, well the under drain is a 5 inch perforated pipe with a sock. If our cut is 8 feet, he will go about 12or 14 feet deep. We hook a well point pump to it and start pumping. As for the tie ins, he will leave heavy duty piece of flex pipe on either end so we can hook the pump to whichever end we want. We will pump it to a pond or existing storm pipe or ditch. If you have good ground, you can be 10 feet below the water table and the hole will be dry as can be. He can go 19 feet with that machine so you can dig 15 feet and still be dry.

19. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

Thanks for the info on the Kubota LC! You guys do some awesome work, very interesting how the underdrain works. We are so mountainous here, usually to dry up a site we have to go uphill and put in some sort of drainage to intercept the water and send it another direction. We just got 2' of snow here, makes me wish I was down working with you for the winter LOL!

20. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

Two feet of snow will keep the frost out of the ground for you nedly, but will be quite a mess.

CD , I figured you would be spending a lot of time pushing the white stuff by now. Glad your work load has kept you busy, what a beautiful place to be working.