• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demoed a terex 760B today

Duke

As you guys know, I'm in the market for a used TLB, but the terex dealer suggested I try one of their new Terex's today. I was pessimistic, but I actually liked most of it.

Plenty of power has Perkins 1104C diesel that CAT uses at 92 gross/ 86net HP. The hood tilts back easily even if the loader arms are down. Has a stainless exhaust stack, too. Radiator tilts forward. All routine maintenance can be done easily from the ground on the left side. Has Turner 4 speed trans w/ 3.01 stall ratio. The front end loader is massive, steel looks thicker than most other TLB's I looked at the cross brace on the loader is huge. Loader lift capacity is a whopping 7604 lbs! :eek: It was plumbed to the front.

The backhoe was massive with 1" thick steel mounts and had joystick controls! :cool2 First time I ever used them and I thought they were exceptionally smooth, but I had nothing to compare them to since it was my first time. The backhoe lines are almost entirely concealed in the boom from damage. It was plumbed to the rear for breaker/tamper, etc.

Cab; the cab was nice & roomy, but a little less refined than others I've used. The fit & finish was a little lacking, but not enough to turn you off. The KAB suspension seat was real comfortable with lots of adjustments. The 4x4 control was real unique, but kind of hard to understand. i won't bore you with the details. There were onlly the basic 3 gauges. Loader control was decent with 3rd valve & trans lockout button. Cab had A/C with 3 speed fan & well positioned ducts. All the usual stuff, wipers, washers, lights, horn, pre wired for stereo with speakers, too.

The front tires were big 12.5/80/18, bigger than most I see.

The pilot controls were kinda hard to get in place. You swivel your seat, then push down a pedal, then pull the pilot arms down towards you. Then you're ready to roll. The plastic did feel a bit "cheap", and the pilot arms were a little tough to battle with at first, but the controls themseves felt fine. The view out back is nice because the dipper is very narrow.

Anyway, the best part is the price: $59,000 for all those features, plus 0% for 3 years or 1.5% for 4 years and a 3 yr 3600 hour warranty thrown in the package.

It's no John Deere or CAT, but it's like $25,000 less, too.

It's tempting. I just thought I'd share my experiences with you.

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
part time excavator/backhoe operator
in 97 I demoed a JCB/Deere/Case/Cat/ and Fermec which is now called Terex. Of all the machines demoed, all but the Cat at least 3 days and up to 5 days for a small town highway dpt. the Fermec or terex for the most part ran cirlces around the others,, Not the fanciest fit and finished cab, correct, just basic and dry, great machine..

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
IMO Fermec's are POS's, but I do have limited seat time on one so...

dug1016

Why?:beatsme

Anyway, the best part is the price: $59,000 for all those features, plus 0% for 3 years or 1.5% for 4 years and a 3 yr 3600 hour warranty thrown in the package.

And, most Deere's or Cat's don't lose almost half their value after 2 years and 950 hrs.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
in 97 I demoed a JCB/Deere/Case/Cat/ and Fermec which is now called Terex. Of all the machines demoed, all but the Cat at least 3 days and up to 5 days for a small town highway dpt. the Fermec or terex for the most part ran cirlces around the others,, Not the fanciest fit and finished cab, correct, just basic and dry, great machine..

And if you set up a contest with that Fermec,I'll run circles around that with my 410G.

Duke

Why?:beatsme

And, most Deere's or Cat's don't lose almost half their value after 2 years and 950 hrs.

Neither do Terex. Most 2 yr old terex's are worth about 80% of their original purchase value based on the 30-40 I've looked in rock&dirt, machinery trader, etc. .

Even if you took a couple thousand of the asking price of these Terex's, they are 4-5 years old and selling for about 75% of their new purchase price. A 760 in 2003 sold for about $45,000. Look at these.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5696625&guid=C861B711CE3840B3AC7149EE3F5611CA
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5806629&guid=C861B711CE3840B3AC7149EE3F5611CA
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5907933&guid=C861B711CE3840B3AC7149EE3F5611CA
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5862172&guid=C861B711CE3840B3AC7149EE3F5611CA

You know, I'm not sure which members here actually purchased their machines with their own money, but to be honest, I don't have $100,000 bucks laying around for a new JD 410G. I know they're better, and I'd love to have one, but I have kids, mortgage, bills and other equipment to pay for. I think it's pretty easy to say that "Cat & deere are the best so why buy anything else?" Pretty obvious statement there. I don't run my backhoe 8/day 5/week, so I don't need the very best.

I have a plain IH dumptruck, not a chrome Peterbilt and it's the same with a backhoe, I just need a machine that's reasonably priced and makes me some money.

You pay a lot of extra mark-up for a big name like CAT or Deere, some of that money is deserved, some of it is because of a fancy name.

When you read what pumps, valves, engines, transmissions, axles, cabs, and buckets are used in them, they share about 80% common parts.

Last edited:

Prairie Dog

You know, I'm not sure which members here actually purchased their machines with their own money, but to be honest, I don't have $100,000 bucks laying around for a new JD 410G. I know they're better, and I'd love to have one, but I have kids, mortgage, bills and other equipment to pay for. I think it's pretty easy to say that "Cat & deere are the best so why buy anything else?" Pretty obvious statement there. I don't run my backhoe 8/day 5/week, so I don't need the very best.

Kind of a rule of thumb that can be used is if you are using your machine less than 500 hours a year then we cant justify a new machine in our market. There are other markets that are different and possibly more lucritve and you could get away buying a new machine and run less hours per year. We currently have 5-6+ guys working for us durring the summer where we are full time excavating and hauling and we never run new equipment. If you are not running that backhoe that often why aren't you buying used?

Just to clarify I am not attacking your decision to buy new, I am just wondering if it is a substantually better deal to buy that terex than used equipment in your area.

Another thing that I would like to mention is that we find service and reliability of equipment play a bigger part than purchase price. I am not a brand guy at all but that piece of equipment better keep working because we only have a 8-9 month season and if that machine is down you are giving away work that will be done at the end of the season. Down time hurts more than payments. No matter how efficient the dealership is at fixing your equipment, if it always needs to be fixed that doesn't help any.

Duke

Kind of a rule of thumb that can be used is if you are using your machine less than 500 hours a year then we cant justify a new machine in our market. There are other markets that are different and possibly more lucritve and you could get away buying a new machine and run less hours per year. We currently have 5-6+ guys working for us durring the summer where we are full time excavating and hauling and we never run new equipment. If you are not running that backhoe that often why aren't you buying used?

Just to clarify I am not attacking your decision to buy new, I am just wondering if it is a substantually better deal to buy that terex than used equipment in your area.

Another thing that I would like to mention is that we find service and reliability of equipment play a bigger part than purchase price. I am not a brand guy at all but that piece of equipment better keep working because we only have a 8-9 month season and if that machine is down you are giving away work that will be done at the end of the season. Down time hurts more than payments. No matter how efficient the dealership is at fixing your equipment, if it always needs to be fixed that doesn't help any.

Thanks. Yes, I am looking at used equipment, matter of fact, the Terex was the only piece I looked at that was new.

I've looked at 10 or 12 used machines and most were nice, I'm just trying to keep all my options open. I probably will end up with a used machine. Going to look at a Case today.

dug1016

What he said!:notworthy

ctkiteboarding

case 580 ,,,, hopefully less the 3k hrs,,,,, 25grand ,,,, best money you will ever spend ,,,,, sell it 5 yrs later w 5k hrs ,,, 20k no brainer R:usa

Duke

What he said!:notworthy

I don't think you're attacking me either! :) I fully understand a new machine is "overkill", but the Terex's are soooo cheap and come with a great warranty and financing, you can make a great arguement for buying one.

Prairie Dog

Originally Posted by dug1016
I don't think you're attacking me either! I fully understand a new machine is "overkill", but the Terex's are soooo cheap and come with a great warranty and financing, you can make a great arguement for buying one.

I put that in there 'cause sometime e-mail and text can be easily misinterpeted from what you were actually trying to say.

I hear you with the warranty and financing. That is a major debate and I don't think there is a right answer. You can run the numbers and find out that it is more expensive to run a new piece of equipment but there are a lot of other decisions that go into that purchase. If you buy used you will likely be putting repairs into your equipment sooner which increases the actual cost of the machine. A new machine should last you longer on average than an used machine. You may get more work by having a new piece of equipment because your customers perceive it to be more reliable than the next guy. You can disagree with me on this next point but some customers like to see a sparkling new piece of equipment in their yard as much as the operator likes running one.

An accountant told me. "run your numbers and find out what makes sense financially, then think like and entrepenuer and decide what will make you the most money. Don't let your accoutant run your business!"

Quick story about that acountant.

He had a customer that he offered his services to and he ran a drug store (Kinda like Walgreens). This drug store had a Post office at the back of the store. After reviewing his books the accountant noticed that the Post office lost him 15-20k per year, then informed him that he should cut it loose. The owner flat out refused. His justification is that a lot of people walk through his store to pick up their parcels and on their way out most of them buy something. This drives home the point. Don't let an accountant make your business decisions for you.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none

I have a plain IH dumptruck, not a chrome Peterbilt and it's the same with a backhoe, I just need a machine that's reasonably priced and makes me some money.

You pay a lot of extra mark-up for a big name like CAT or Deere, some of that money is deserved, some of it is because of a fancy name.

Amen!,if it can dig you a hole and bring in the money for the lowest cost possible I say buy it who cares what color it is or what name is on it.

Whatever machine you decide to buy it can't go wrong since it'll be paying your bills which is what its all about.

Good luck on your purchase.

ctkiteboarding

i built my business with a super e ,, it never failed to make me money ,, i put over 6k hrs on it and sold it with 10k hrs,,,,

for the 13k it costs ,, you could start with this then in 2 yrs move up to a newer TLB i bet it wouldnt skip a beat till 4k hrs ,,maybe more

Duke

i built my business with a super e ,, it never failed to make me money ,, i put over 6k hrs on it and sold it with 10k hrs,,,,

for the 13k it costs ,, you could start with this then in 2 yrs move up to a newer TLB i bet it wouldnt skip a beat till 4k hrs ,,maybe more

I believe you.

I've been in the business for 20 years, so I'm not just starting out. I used to have a Ford 555 4x4 Extravator backhoe and I just sold a $30,000 TLB. I planned on something even more substantial. Nice macine, though!