• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demo with a Cat 955 Traxcavator

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Engineer (AT UNI), Heavy equipment owner/ operator
Gday all, is there anyone that would have some pictures, movies or ideas about how to do a demo with a traxcavator?

Being new to this i was wondering what is the best plan of attack for this job. I will be demoing a standard 3 bedroom home.

Thanks
Alex

dirty4fun

I have knocked down a few houses years ago, that way. It is a lot slower but not to bad. Try to keep everything inside the house, and keep breaking it down. No basement you can get on top of it once it is down to break it up for easier loading. I have torn down a couple with a backhoe and skidsteer, and loaded into a truck to be hauled off. The last two I tore down was with an excavator, by far the easiest. It just takes longer with an endloader, but can be done, work safely.

grandpa

FarmerAlex..... if its a slab on grade (no basement), they are a piece of cake to do.... if there is no close building in the proximity, just take the bucket above the floor joist's and cut the four corners. Then crawl on top and start chewing it to pieces being careful not to damage the cement floor. Saving the cement floor allows you to keep the building material out of the soil allows you fewer loads to haul away.
If you have a basement to deal with, you have two options, option 1 is to stretch a cable around the building at the floor joist level and pull what you can off the basement to load out on the level. Option 2 would involve digging a ramp down to the basement level , going thru basement wall and cleaning it out that way... Take care again to leave the cement untill the end to cut down on dirt contamination .

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Thanks for that Grandpa, CM2995, dirty4fun. Another question, for breaking up the concrete pad, do i just start working on one edge, dig under and curl the bucket back? and once i have broken a piece off tip it on the solid part and just keep working forward until i get a bucket full?

Cheers Alex

grandpa

yup FarmerAlex.... you got it figured out now..... if you have a standing wall or a higher footing someplace, push it towards that... will make bucket fill easier....and Farmeralex, as far as CM2995 (lol, don't give him more credit than he deserve's, he's only a 1995) Bwah ha hah !!!

dirty4fun

if you don't have a wall or something solid to push to fill the bucket. Don't make a pile, back drag so they lay against each other roughly one thickness. That way when you push into them with the loader the others help hold the closest to you and will slide into the bucket. That also works good loading the last feew buckets of dirt. By back dragging the dirt, first, it will load into the bucket much better. Dropping one large piece onto the slab will help break the concrete to more manageable sizes. If you have a piece to big to load , and can tip it over onto another piece on top of the concrete after a few times it will usually break. Always just do the best you can with what you have to work with, and you will get the job done.

Wolf

Thanks for that Grandpa, CM2995, dirty4fun. Another question, for breaking up the concrete pad, do i just start working on one edge, dig under and curl the bucket back? and once i have broken a piece off tip it on the solid part and just keep working forward until i get a bucket full?

Cheers Alex

Hey, Alex. How did the house demo go? I hope you had some fun wrecking it. LOL.

FarmerAlex

Occupation
Wolf, the demo hasn't gone ahead as the owners are an older couple and with the financial situation they are waiting now for a little while.
I have the job for a certainty, now just waiting for better weather and hopefully a better financial situation.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas that would be fantastic

cheers