• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demo Estimating

denis871

Does anybody have a rough figure for Lbs per SqFt. for wood homes and brick buildings????? If not what is the best way to figure.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A rough guide I use for residential demo is 1000 SF = 100CY, a 30CY can will average 6-9 tons per. This formula does not take into account slabs on grade or basements, just the SF of the house, you will need to estimate the foundation removal separately. If the house has personal contents the volume will go up. If the house is burned and it's the demo is wet, your tonnages will go up per can as the ashes and fines will weigh more.

Point being this is a rough guide, something you can use to estimate the job and then adjust when the actual job cost numbers come in. Demo is a higher stakes game than estimating dirt, because you never know what you're going to get until you get started.:cool:

When you say brick buildings do you mean brick veneer or structural masonry?

cdm123

Our locale dump is now charging buy the ton, what would bee the tonnage of a say 1000 sq ft wood framed single story house, old enough to have real 2x4 studs shiplap and Tung and groove in and out and an extra layer of dry wall?

Landclearer

I would say 25 to 30 tons without seeing it. When we bid a job , we try to figure a little heavy rather than get bit at the end with a bunch of dump fees.

Chris

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I agree with Landclearer - 30 tons. That's roughly 5 - 30's at 6 ton average. 1k SF is roughly a 100 CY, so that gives you an overage in the bid. I couldn't agree more on not wanting to be bit at the end, been there and done that.