• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demo accident.

Truckie

Demo accident.
Had to load up the Link Belt today and go rescue a Volvo that got it’s self and the operator in a pickle.
The operator was down in the pit with the machine and was pulling on some old storage bins when all hell broke lose.
He is lucky to be alive.
Why he was in the pit with the machine pulling on the bins I don’t know.
The best and safest way would to have had some cable hooked up to the bins and hooked up to the machine and then pull on them while the machine was out from under the building.
A large chunk of concert came in through the roof window of the machine landing in the lap of the operator. It weighed around 10 to 15 pounds.
So here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• !cid__0125081704.jpg
    !cid__0125081704.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,719
  • !cid__0125081706a.jpg
    !cid__0125081706a.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,903
  • !cid__0125081705.jpg
    !cid__0125081705.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 3,683
  • !cid__0125081707a.jpg
    !cid__0125081707a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 3,656
  • DSC00782.JPG
    DSC00782.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 3,606

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
That's gotta suck, We have a volvo and I have noticed that the green tinted plexi glass roof sure does not look like it could withstand much falling on it.

got a question,

Did the operator have the windsheild up while he was working? If so I know those machines have the saftey glass, like the windsheilds of car, and not tempered glass. That should have stopped the concrete should'nt it?

But I see the side windows did not make it either, although the machine does not look to be in that bad of shape to have a building fall on it. Volvo's are built strong :thumbsup:thumbsup

Truckie

Yes the operator did have the front window closed.
He had to open it to get in and out because the side rail just above the door got bent down and is stopping it from opening.
The Volvo front glass is a safety glass like a car windshield and is a very nice feature.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Wow.... Lucky to still be alive...

I'm not sure what to say?

Sometimes....
there just aren't enough words...
:cool:

Truckie

I here ya Roll Over Pete.
I told the operator he should have went out and played the lotto.

I for got to say or add the Link Belt has a shear on it, and is one of the main machines I run.

Wolf

Lucky for him

Lucky day for that operator. Someone was watching out for him. Lucky too that you had the shears mounted on your Linkbelt and were able to cut away all that tangle of metal to release him.

How did the operator react to it all? Did he know why it all came crashing down upon him? What was he doing pulling on those storage units anyhow?

Thanks for the grrreat pictures, Truckie.

Demoguy324

Occupation
Operating engineer, Local 701, Specializing in scr
That makes me almost sick to my stomach, there is NO WAY that ANYONE should even ATTEMPT industrial demolition without proper guarding one their machine, small house and stick frame demolition while still a bad idea, is bad enough without guarding, but ANYTHING involving steel should be left to those who care enough about their employees to install a $1500 cage on the machine, especially if they're willing to install a $30,000 demo grapple, or a 3rd member shear (at least $80,000)

this operator got VERY lucky, but plain and simple there's no excuse to put the operator in that kind of danger.

here's a shot of my old 350L's cab after a section of the building broke loose and swung into the cab:
0706280004.jpg

a properly equipped volvo 290B notice that not only is there front window protection but a full FOPS cage that protects the whole cab:
P1010008.jpg

this was harsh, I know, but it is the truth.

Eric

Truckie

Dirtman 2007, The machine is a EC 330

Tonka I will have to look around in my computer for some pictures of the shear. If I don’t find them today I will get a few for you tomorrow.

Demo guy I agree with you whole heartedly.
I still don’t understand why this guy was in the pit he was in and why he was pulling on the bins from inside.
They come to find out that the last bin was full of lime and is one of the reasons this all happened.

They are lucky my machine was in the yard at the time and our yard is only 2 miles from where this all happened.

Wolf

Digging out the Hoe

Truckie:

You saved the day, getting the hoe and operator out of there. I hope that they at least gave you some work cutting up the steel for scrap. . .

Big Tackle Boy

Definately a serioulsy lucky operator.

I can't believe he was doing that sort of work without proper Rops & Fops though!

Truckie

Tonka I did not forget about getting some pictures of the shear for ya, Iv just been so dang busy it keeps slipping my mind.
I will try to get them tomorrow for you.