• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demanding Customers

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Been awhile since posted this way. Been delivering rock and other materials for the current employer, at points set gate chains and spread stone materials where work with nearly all levels as 2" clean to 1'minus(Screenings) to full screenings. Some spread easier as the 2" or 1" clean, some pack and resort to imaginative methods to get to flow out a impinged gate opening as the sceenings.

Had a couple instances where a client watched as I spread, made some comments as to maybe spreading a bit thinner to get more distance or another as to spreading the gate out to make heavier for better coverage. Anyone else dealing with Demanding Armchair Quarterbacks?? Most if asked stated they do not spread their own as have no skills at it and accepted afterwards that I did do well for the product they purchased.

Crummy

Haha! Most folks I've found #1 almost never will accept how much rock they really need #2 think you have some kind of joystick in the cab to fill potholes when spreading. The quarry owner hates doing homeowner spread deliveries. Dry product in the summer is a joy, now not so much.

I had a guy recently that wanted me to spread rock on his road- he figured my 14t should do 1/2 mile. Well, maybe if I hit it pinned to the floor in 9th then tripped the gate. "can you do that?" No kidding.

Shimmy1

Years ago when hauling with tandems we dealt with this quite a bit. Usually could predict if one was going to have a less than desirable result (wet/poor material/site conditions) and usually as long as we said something up front, the customer would be understanding if it didn't work out as well as they hoped.

56wrench

About 40 plus years ago, i was working for the local sand and gravel business in the small town closest to where i grew up. The boss (owner) got me to take a load ( 10 yds) to an old lady who wanted gravel on her back yard parking pad. He said she and her boyfriend would be waiting in the back-alley. She had little plywood forms along the end and sides to keep the gravel off the grass. She wanted it spread 10" deep and only to the edge of the back alley. It was only about 25 to 30 feet long. So, i backed in and the tires were already pushing the plywood outwards. I went back and adjusted the tailchains, looked up at all the overhead wires in the back alley, planned my exit and spread, stopping just before the overhead wires. I lowered the box, jumped out, looked at the spread and was quite proud of the job. Other than a lump at the start and finish and the spillage over her plywood it appeared ok. She proceeded to give me a major ass-chewing for going a crappy job and my boss was certainly going to hear about it. Later, the boss saw me and had already been to look at it. He told me nobody could have done it any better and started laughing. He said he didn't want to do it and thats why he sent me:mad::(:D:D

Bluox

Haha! Most folks I've found #1 almost never will accept how much rock they really need #2 think you have some kind of joystick in the cab to fill potholes when spreading. The quarry owner hates doing homeowner spread deliveries. Dry product in the summer is a joy, now not so much.

I had a guy recently that wanted me to spread rock on his road- he figured my 14t should do 1/2 mile. Well, maybe if I hit it pinned to the floor in 9th then tripped the gate. "can you do that?" No kidding.
I kinda seen that done one time, only it was a belly dump load of 3/4 " round rock, chains set ,60 mph ,3 lane freeway.
Needless to say I was more than impressed.
Most home owners are clueless how dump truck work.
Bob

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had a fella ask me to spread the load 'Thin as possible' as wanted the most spread for his money, chained at 8 links for 1" clean, backed onto a area he did not want rock and started off into second gear at 1300rpm, popped the gate, rock was just flying. Spread it thin enough did have enough to place Some Rock on a 1/4 mile of road then went back to the yard, was REALLY thin. Boss was laughing as pulled up. The call was made to complain and he asked what he told me to do, he stated it word for word, boss told him, "Careful of what you ask as he was standing behind me this time".

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have been hauling a Brownish colored limestone from a quarry in Wright City MO, Screenings have color of dirt and pack like cement. We hauled 26 20+t loads to a farm not far from town and spread Heavy 1"minus this last summer same stuff different site. Around 4/10s mile of road, set chains at 12 links, first gear and rolling smooth to pop gate as of last stopping point. Property caretaker said he needed only blade off a few odd spots but was laid in just as expected, Owner however thought the expense was a bit High for what was accomplished, still paid the bill. First rains and packed so tight nothing has washed out in close to two months.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I tell 'em, it's 95 an hour for just me to work, 125 an hour if you help. I got this one customer who literally wants to be looking over my shoulder while I'm doing stuff. The trouble is, I like him, he's a good guy, and he pays quick, but I'm getting to the point in my life where my tolerance for that crap is getting real thin. I got another guy who likes to call when he feels his machine should be done. He'll call, and if I don't answer, he'll call again 5 minutes later. I could be in the bathroom or on the ground under a truck, he doesn't care, he'll light me up anyway. Again, good customer, good guy all that. Some of these people have some real bad behaviors. Ya gotta decide for yourself if it's worth it. I'll tell you what... for me, these days it's getting more and more "not worth it".

aighead

I think I'm the opposite of the trouble you guys have. When they came out to drop gravel for my driveway I asked if they could dump and go and they said no, we don't really do that. After hearing them be surprised at the 20 or so yards we were ordering, I figured they weren't too used to doing stuff this big. I was kind of frustrated about it, especially after finding that I'm not good at leveling it all out with the backhoe loader, but I didn't crab about a thing. Luckily, a neighbor let me borrow his tractor with a blade that did a much smoother job.