• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demag CC6800 crawler crane

CAT992G

Hi @ all!

Here some pics of a Demag CC6800 crawler crane from Schmidbauer (germany).
The crane can lift 1250 metric tons, the counterweight has 250 tons.:eek:

Hope you like the pics;)

Attachments

• Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 135.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 135.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 10,450
  • Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 178.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 178.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 9,543
  • Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 250.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 250.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 7,876
  • Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 322.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 322.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 12,858
  • Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 351.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 351.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 8,918

CAT992G

You can see more pictures of the crane in better quality on my new homepage

Last edited:

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
thats an awesome machine ..great pictures...biggest ive been around was the CC2800...

that machine has 330 Tonne of ballast on her ...theres an additional 8 tonne of counter weight in the carbody ...otherwise known as central ballast..

Throw on the ballast wagon and you can add up to another 450 tonne...

880 tonne of ballast (970 US ton)...the logistics of moving that alone makes a guy stand up and look...not something you would want on yer toes ...:eek:

td25c

Vary impressive.I like the cribbing under the tracks,I guess it keeps it from tearing up the steet and rail road track's.Add a jib to it and it would make a good windfarm crane.Good looking pics.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Nice photos but why are they only using the back boom? There should be a front boom, queen posts and a luffer on top of that. I've only seen the wheel horses used to pickup or put down the main boom and luffer after assembly.

Do they have any of these in the US yet?

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Nice photos but why are they only using the back boom? There should be a front boom, queen posts and a luffer on top of that. I've only seen the wheel horses used to pickup or put down the main boom and luffer after assembly.

Do they have any of these in the US yet?

Yes Mammoet Crane has one for sure, by now possably 2 in the US..

That is the main boom ..note the two hoist in the heel..

on the superstructure just above where the heel pins , theres 2 raised lugs ..the live mast or super lift as its called mounts in there ...
and you do have a chart with the ballast wagon ,on different boom configurations ..,theres also a tray ..but thats another animal...

..depending on boom you may need an assist ..be it ballast ,side track outrigger's or another crane to stand her

As an example ..
Without super lift (wagon & mast)
108 meter boom ,250 +80 tonne counter weight at 96 meter radius she can handle 7 tonne

with superlift
108 meter boom, 250+80+450 tonne counter weight ,at 96 meter radius she can handle 83 tonne...

Thats all a very ,very good ball park capacity..she's a mean lifter..

25c ... ...the underwriters wont insure you if it goes for a dive and theres no dunnage..its usally not so much tearing it up as it is going through it ..
I remember seeing number's with track loading.. no load-- fully rigged of just over 500T ,I dont know if this is each or between the 2 never got that part....

Last edited by a moderator:

td25c

Do they have any of these in the US yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes Mammoet Crane has one for sure, by now possably 2 in the US..

That is the main boom ..note the two hoist in the heel..

on the superstructure just above where the heel pins , theres 2 raised lugs ..the live mast or super lift as its called mounts in there ...
and you do have a chart with the ballast wagon ,on different boom configurations ..,theres also a tray ..but thats another animal...

..depending on boom you may need an assist ..be it ballast ,side track outrigger's or another crane to stand her

As an example ..
Without super lift (wagon & mast)
108 meter boom ,250 +80 tonne counter weight at 96 meter radius she can handle 7 tonne

with superlift
108 meter boom, 250+80+450 tonne counter weight ,at 96 meter radius she can handle 83 tonne...

Thats all a very ,very good ball park capacity..she's a mean lifter..

25c ... ...the underwriters wont insure you if it goes for a dive and theres no dunnage..its usally not so much tearing it up as it is going through it ..
I remember seeing number's with track loading.. no load-- fully rigged of just over 500T ,I dont know if this is each or between the 2 never got that part....
Yea.you cant be to carefull.You dont know whats under the pavement.Allways use cribbing.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
[

You got it liebherr. When you set up rigs this big, all things have to be considered. When these things come down, they come down hard. You have to know the ground is sufficient for support, the base has to be prepared appropriately and mats laid to distribute load, as these things are a load in themselves, not to mention what they pick. I have a brother that works in the safety dept of a large refinery in Louisianna and he sends me pics that circulate through his safety community about crane accidents, large and small. Most all of these accidents are mistakes by operator or the operation as a whole. They had the Deep South Versacrane at his refinery early last year to set a Hydrocracker. When the Versacrane went down in Texas late last year it made even me sick. The accident was caused by improper operation of the rig. With cranes, there are no small mistakes. There's only one way to properly operate cranes, no matter what size they are; Zero Defects. ;)

td25c

I dont want get to far away from Cat992G's thread,But what realy happend to the versacrane ?I remember seeing photograph's of the accident,one looked like the house separated from the outriggers.I havent heard anymore about it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I dont want get to far away from Cat992G's thread,But what realy happend to the versacrane ?I remember seeing photograph's of the accident,one looked like the house separated from the outriggers.I havent heard anymore about it.

I'll see if I still have the email he sent me with pics, if so, I'll send them to you. Basically what happened was they were working in tight quarters, and to swing the crane into the position for a lift, the main boom had to be raised to a high angle to miss plant equipment. With the main boom at a high degree angle and no load on the hook for ballast, the rear boom pulled the main boom backwards over the top. It all came down. :(

td25c

Thank's ATCOEQUIP.It just goes to show that we cant overlook any detail big or small in the crane business.

CTDiesel

Neat pictures. I would love to see one in person one day.

They had a large crane here in Indy for a while when building Lucas Oil Stadium, but I was not able to see it much closer than a quarter mile or so.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That Demag is a sweet rig among large cranes. Serious lifting capacity, rather compact for a large crane, and I'd say very mobile with it's large tracks. If you look at a rig like a Lampson, the Demag seems like a rig that could walk easily around a site. Nice Crane. ;)

td25c

It look's like the 6800 has two drums on the house.what are the two drums in the base section of the boom used for?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I didn't see the boom reels to start with. The boom mounted drums I believe operate the two lifting lines. The two drums on the house handle the back boom and wheel horse weights I think. It's been awhile since I was around those monsters.

I think I saw the Mammoet machine in Houston a few years back. They were erecting it at their shop to train the crew. I don't know if it was a 6800 but I know it was far bigger than the CC4000 I was doing a project on.

Thanks again for the photos.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
theres actually seven drums on that unit ..
three in the superstucture...one boom hoist ..and two more hoist ..one main one auxillary ..but the two can be compiled into a double main on a double block hook block ...See pic
the heel has the luffing hoist and another auxillary ...which can be used as the whip line in the double block scenario..

theres a reeving drum ..that will pull your main hoist ,luffing and whip line out.. there's another on the back of the superstructure that will attach to the super lift tray or wagon...im still not entirely clear on that ..

You can see two sheave packs ,attached to a equalizer plate that has the hook attached to it ...this will use two drums,both have to hoist up and down in unison by the computer or manually ..as to keep the sheave packs level ...someday's theres no sustitute for a good signal man

(the hole in the hook is for a shackle,, these are also in smaller blocks that have that hook design...the reason is so any load pulling on the hook dosent unevenly load the block..and yes it can be done)

Attachments

• Liebherr_LR1750_003_Messe.jpg
    Liebherr_LR1750_003_Messe.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 3,655
Last edited:

CAT992G

:wavingthanks for your interest!

Here i have some more pics of the crane. Note: each of the counterweight parts weights 10 tons, so you can easily calculate the complete weight of the counterweights.

Attachments

• Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 019.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 019.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4,757
  • Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 333.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 333.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3,848
  • Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 341.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 341.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 5,866
  • Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 378.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 378.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,792

CAT992G

hook

Attachments

• Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 343.jpg
    Schmidbauer Nürnberg Hafen Februar 09 343.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 3,585

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Thats 10 tonne (t) equalivent to just a tad over 11 Ton ( U.S.) ...
I have moved those Demag stone's countless time's ..they all come in a just over 22,000 lbs each ...

Double block with dead ends ...
Thats a nice picture

They also put sand under the dunnage,,,100% contact to ground ...no pressure points and helps sometimes to make up any slope in the grade

Last edited: