• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Degrassing Tool ?

NWH

What is the best tool to use when degrassing for a building pad? I usually use a dozer but would like to have something that would do the job
on my track loader [Tak TL 240 ]. I thought maybe a tooth bucket or a landplane. I am so busy that it is hard to spare the dozer for these jobs.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
If I'm reading this right.. I think your thinking of a sod cutter..??
A long osolating bar that cuts the roots.. and then you come back and just roll it up..
They sell different models.. hand models and pto models.
Here in the South Carolina sod/grass is BIG BUSINESS.. 1000 acre farms dedicated to growing/cutting and selling grass..
Who woulda thunk it.. lol

DIYDAVE

Sod cutting is WAY labor intensive, for a building pad. I'd spray with roundup, then use your TL 240 with a land leveler attachment. The one I use, has cutting edges mounted horizontally, and works great at cutting sod off...

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That's what I was thinkin' DAVE..
You could do in 10 minutes w/ a dozer, what a sod cutter will in an hour.. and WAY MORE FUN..

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

A local bloke here is an artist with the four in one on a Case backhoe.

He opens the bucket, sets the angle and cuts the sod off going backwards, flicks the bucket wide open, bundles up the cut sod going forward, clamps it and puts it in the pile or truck.

Its very slick to see.

Cheers,

NWH

I am not interested in getting the sod [ grass ] in rolls just getting it pushed to an out of the way location . The problem is that my smooth lip bucket will not penetrate
the thick turf we have in Louisiana

Rentalstop

I am not interested in getting the sod [ grass ] in rolls just getting it pushed to an out of the way location . The problem is that my smooth lip bucket will not penetrate
the thick turf we have in Louisiana
Try a tooth bucket on a track loader. Just recently another guy on here bought a bucket with a Rezloh edge. Google Rezloh, may be worth looking into that also. Tooth bucket works great for me, no personal experience with Rezloh.

NWH

Thanks for the replies. I am leaning toward a tooth bucket or a 4 in 1 bucket with teeth. The prices i have gotten on the rezloh edge are almost as much as a tooth bucket !

pafarmer

Occupation
Land clearing, demo, site prep etc. Ex Pro Motocro
I have a CAT 4 in - tooth bucket I use on my 299 for peeling up sod. working slick ....I put in a 250 foot drive on
Friday, fist cutter side and piling it out m then down 2 feet. Filled the first foot with 2x4 stone and then top dressed the remainder in 2B's. all with the 4 in 1. 6 hours to complete. Came out great. Customer was thrilled and tossed me a sizable tip. Easy money and fun to change up the daily Grind once in a while....I don't know why people in the USA don't use 4 in 1
More. Have handy and versatile bucket....

movindirt

Get a tooth bucket, once you get through the grass in one spot just work from there pealing the top 2" or so off, that will get all your grass and most the roots.