• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DEF stuff

cfherrman

I've been hauling water last few months. It's a 80 bbl tank or around 3400 gallon tank, used vac or pressure to load or unload. When unloading the tank can get to 20+ psi, it's quite a bomb.

Welder Dave

Interesting that back before I was a journeyman welder the owner of an irrigation company asked me about building a water fountain. My dad was responsible for him getting the Toro irrigation distributorship because it was offered to my dad. My dad was offered the distributorship but wanted to concentrate on the turf equipment so recommended him to Toro. He never forgot is why I was asked about building the water fountain. Unfortunately I just didn't have enough experience to build it so had to decline. One of the reasons he asked me was because a commercial welding shop they've used in the past lied to him on a job they did. They made some kind of smaller non pressure tank and when asked if it was tested said "Sure we put 20 PSI air pressure in it and tested with soapy water". My dad's friend knew right away that was a crock of $hit! It shouldn't have had more than 5 PSI and 2 or 2.5 would have been sufficient.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
CFherrman,

Those DOT412 spec tanks are rated for MAWP of 35 psi. I’ve never really messed with them. Not many of them in hazmat service in my area.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
That’s a good idea and practice. I ran into a Canadian outfit that uses nitrogen. That’s too Gucci for me.

Welder Dave

BE dragline booms were filled with nitrogen to alert operators of cracks. Nitrogen also prevents corrosion. Have read that Cat used a special corrosion inhibitor in later dry steering clutch compartments and pressure tested them for leaks. Yesterday read something that said nitrogen fumes prevent corrosion so thinking that might be what Cat used from the factory. Has baffled me for a while because nobody seemed to know of a corrosion inhibitor for clutch compartments.

JaredV

Rust requires oxygen, thus the term oxidization, so if the nitrogen displaces the oxygen, there you are. It's not uncommon for old barges to be bright steel on the inside if they were sealed up properly when launched. The oxygen gets used up and the rusting stops. But you'd better make sure it's well ventilated before you go in there!