• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 860 scraper

baexcavating

Occupation
Work like a rented mule to make ends meet
Looking at buying a deere 860 or 860B elevating scraper, was wondering how good of a machine they were. Any info would be great

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
Just a bit of trivia from "down under", when the the sales reps were trying to sell them here in the '80s, someone in the sales hierarchy devised some weird calculation, promoting them as "shifting material more efficiently than a 623b". It was probably more to do with cost of ownership. JD earth moving equipment was not a big seller over here in those days either.
There were only a few out here, not many but seemed to do the job OK. Never see them around now. 4wd articulated tractors pulling laser buckets or "pans" as they're known in USA, seem to have taken over the agricultural earth moving scene. My theory on this is, it's easier to find an operator for a big 4wd tractor than a proficient scraper operator.

kevin37b

Occupation
Operator #841
The 619 was not a good engine . Weak crank and main bearings .

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Have a 1970 860 with a 6 71 in her. Needs to have the TC pulled out of it to replace some sheered off flywheel bolts that were not toqure down right. I was under the impression that it was a shaft on the TC and we were not going to put they money into it to fix it...then found out last spring that my uncle had found three bolt heads in the flywheel drain. :Banghead wish I knew this sooner as I would have got right at tearing it apart. Let me know if you might be interested in this I would surely dive into it to get it fixed if you were.

Trbo

am in WI as well, not too far from ya. PM me if you want anymore information

baexcavating

Occupation
Trbo, I may be interested in it the way it sits. Pm me the price and location. Id like to take a look at it

baexcavating

Occupation
RZucker, I would have to agree. The 619 was a poorly constructed engine. They had problems with the blocks twisting and cracking. While I was a mechanic I relpaced a lot of 619s in 8640 Deere tractors.