• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 850 J Final Drive advice

T GRIMM

So I bought an 850 J LGP from my a local guy it had 5200 hrs on it. So I have put about 400 Hrs on it since last fall. well long story short one of the inner final drives just went out. so we haul it in to deere and they say the bearing on the pinion gear went out. Ok things happen.n 1 week later bring the dozer home (I'm now behind and need to put in some serious hrs), and run it 4 hrs and the other side goes out. they say the same thing happened. SO I am wondering if anyone would have any insight into why this might have happened. also the Dealer was in the machine replacing park brakes about 12 months ago not sure if that could be connected . thanks in advance

photo 1 (1).jpgphoto 2 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . T GRIMM. I have no knowledge of your machine whatever but, as a general observation, final drive catastrophe's on various machines are often caused by bearings failing, developing end-float due to wear/coming out of adjustment and so on.

I would not consider it not at all unusual for both sides to fail within a few hundred hours of each other.

I used to check the magnetic drain plugs on final drive compartments every hundred hours . . . more often (even daily) if they started throwing chips or flakes, a decision must be made.

Cheers.