• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 710D random power loss and surging - ideas?

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Hey guys,
So my backhoe started acting up yesterday. I have been using the loader to move fill and I started to notice a power loss after working it for a few hours. I shut it down right away and looked it over, checked all the fluid levels and what not and found nothing out of the ordinary. Started it back up and it ran fine for about another hour and did it again. Same thing today. Ran fine for hours then issues then fine.
Its losing power to the point I can't even fill the bucket in 1st gear with my foot on the floor, but will all the sudden regain power and roar to life, only to lose power again.
No smoke
Doesn't run overly rough like I am losing a cylinder with it happens
It does have sort of a surge-y idle but it always has. Idles the same as it always has sine i bought it 5 years ago.
I have changed the fuel filters. Not this year but less than 200 hours ago
I put new injectors in it last summer. Cheap-o import ones.

I suspect a fuel problem but thought maybe someone here has had a similar issues. I found an old topic about a guy who had a similar problem -

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/jd-410g-loss-of-power.71778/

I don't know if my older machine has the same pick up screen in the tank, but also don't know that a plugged screen would cause an issue that would come and go so dramatically?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Make sure all your lines are clear and not kinked as well. Yes there is a screen in the tank. Try blowing back through the tank to see if that helps. Serial number?

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Shoot. Meant to put that in my post. It’s the later half of the serial numbers for those machines.
I’ll hopefully have some time to look at it more tonight.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Ok I spent the evening trying to figure this out to no avail. My suggestions would be great. Here is what I tried.

disconnected the lines from the injection pump back to the line going to the tank and blew through them. None seemed restricted.
Replaced the transfer pump with one from Deere.
Removed and examined the pick up screen in the tank.
Ran with the fuel cap loose just in case it was some weird venting issue.

I should have picked up a new filter when I was at Deere. I am going to do that tomorrow just in case something weird is going on with it but I took it off and it looked ok visually. I was able to pump fuel through it with the priming lever and line disconnected from the injection pump.
The parts guy at Deere was intrigued but didn’t have any suggestions.

What do you guys think about the injection pump? Is that likely to fail in this manner? Is there anything I can check on it myself? Can a diesel shop test them off the machine?

it only will faulter under load. It will always idle fine. If it’s acting up and you try and load the bucket and just hold your foot on the floor it will bog down, then roar to life and push forward a bit then bog down again and repeat. Very much seems like it’s starving for fuel to me.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
It is a turbo. I checked the air filter. That was clean. I’ve had turbos fail on big trucks and always had a lot of smoke. I’m not getting excessive smoke with this. Has anyone had a turbo fail like this? How would I check that?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Remove the return line from the injection pump, then remove the fitting (check valve) it is attached to and check that for restrictions. You can try running it with that fitting removed to see if it runs better (it will be messy). Also make sure the return line back to the tank is free from restrictions or kinks.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Do as MG2361 suggested.. Take the check ball return connector OFF the top cover & run it.. Fuel IS gonna flow out of it..
IF the return line goes back to the filter, your gonna have to find a way to plug it..
IF u have any "barb fittings" around, u might find 1 that'll thread down into the top cover, then u can run a piece of hose to a gallon jug to catch the return fuel coming from the pumps top cover..
Good luck & let us know..

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
I am going to investigate the return line after work tonight. I am not familiar with exactly how the return circuit on this machine works.
I can try running it with the return to a jug, but I can’t really get this issue to happen until I start to really work the machine. It took 45 minutes last night before it acted up. Unless I could route the return directly back to the fuel tank I’m not sure I can trouble shoot much like that.

I have a new filter and pick up screen waiting for me at the dealer to pick up on the way home. I don’t think either will be the answer but want to rule them out.

What do you suppose the odds are I have one of the rubber hoses on the supply side that’s collapsing internally? That could explain why it doesn’t seem to happen right away until everything warms up.
I will certainly keep you all updated.

Andy1845c

Occupation
Electrician
Update-

Tonight I installed the new fuel filter and pick up screen and took the return line off the pump as you both suggest and blew back through it. Seemed fine. Carefully examined the rubber hose from the last injector back to the tank. Didn’t see anything interesting.

Ran it for 2 hours with no issues.

Right before I came in I cut open the fuel filter to see what it looked like....COMPLETELY PLUGGED!

I changed every filter and all the fluids when I bought the machine in 2016- but now I am second guessing if I forgot about the fuel filter. I haven’t put many hours on it and don’t see how I could have gotten it that dirty. I feel pretty dumb.

I am fairly confident this was the issue, thought am surprised it was so intermittent.

I appreciate the replies and wish I could buy you all a round for sharing your knowledge.

Attachments

• C539C832-E1EE-4438-9988-7A80F48B4280.jpeg
    C539C832-E1EE-4438-9988-7A80F48B4280.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 12

Rajun Cajun

Hey guys,
So my backhoe started acting up yesterday. I have been using the loader to move fill and I started to notice a power loss after working it for a few hours. I shut it down right away and looked it over, checked all the fluid levels and what not and found nothing out of the ordinary. Started it back up and it ran fine for about another hour and did it again. Same thing today. Ran fine for hours then issues then fine.
Its losing power to the point I can't even fill the bucket in 1st gear with my foot on the floor, but will all the sudden regain power and roar to life, only to lose power again.
No smoke
Doesn't run overly rough like I am losing a cylinder with it happens
It does have sort of a surge-y idle but it always has. Idles the same as it always has sine i bought it 5 years ago.
I have changed the fuel filters. Not this year but less than 200 hours ago
I put new injectors in it last summer. Cheap-o import ones.

I suspect a fuel problem but thought maybe someone here has had a similar issues. I found an old topic about a guy who had a similar problem -

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/jd-410g-loss-of-power.71778/

I don't know if my older machine has the same pick up screen in the tank, but also don't know that a plugged screen would cause an issue that would come and go so dramatically?

Rajun Cajun

I had a 555 loader that done the same thing sounds like the problem your having some one replied about the return fuel line check valve . This is more than likely your problem a John Deere mechanic told me to take it out clamp it in a vise and take a sharp punch and shatter the glass ball in check valve clean it out blow out with air to make sure it is clean . I done that on mine and ran it for 10 years with out a glitch before I sold it .