• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 544H park brake unresponsive

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What are the "voltage" measurements of the M12 and M13 wires with the key on and issue happening? Check the voltage measurements of your ground wires for the TCU (terminals 1 and 2) and the Monitor (terminal K) as well. They should be less than 0.100 V. I also attached a solution I found. Not your serial number but worth mentioning.

Hear is the diagnostics out of the manual (won't be much help):

F1653 No CCU Transmit

Wire M12 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open

Load Center Harness (W3)—M12 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.)

Wire M13 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open

Load Center Harness (W3)—M13 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.)

CCU (A2) CCU (Replace)

MDU (Reconfigure). See Monitor Display Unit Reconfiguration Access Service Menu

, Machine Model (S 01) , Tire Size (S 03) , Enable Options (S 06) , and Delete Service Codes in Group 9015—15.

F1655 No TCU CAN Transmit

Wire M12 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open

Load Center Harness (W3) M12 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.)

Wire M13 (Purple) Harness (W3) Open

Load Center Harness (W3) M13 (Purple) Open (Check/Repair.)

Wire R02 (Black) Harness (W3) Open

Load Center Harness (W3) R02 (Black) Open (Check/Repair.)

TCU (A3) TCU (Replace)

MDU (Reconfigure). See Monitor Display Unit Reconfiguration Access Service Menu

, Machine Model (S 01) , Tire Size (S 03) , Enable Options (S 06) , and Delete Service Codes in Group 9015—15.

Attachments

• 544H Solution 57980.pdf
    131.8 KB · Views: 38

shadowman1000

volts , key on , M-12 2.30 volts , M-13 2.19 volts , RO-2 .000 volts , GO-1 .007 volts .
TCU volts at pin-1 .000 volts , pin-2 .007 volts . at monitor K wire .030 to .034 volts .
I don't know if this is important but I rechecked ohms at M-12 and M-13 (key off)and its now 67.1 , I checked M-12 with negative lead of meter to ground and got 13.36 , M-13 was 13.36 , GO-1 was 1.1 , RO-2 was 1.6

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Try measuring the M12 and 13 voltages again with each controller disconnected one at a time. The 12 and 13 voltages should add up to approx. 5 V. If at any point they do add up to 5 V then you found a problem controller. 67 ohms does not concern me however if you want to check them individually I attached their locations. They should be 120 ohms each.

Attachments

• 544H CAN termination resistor R1.pdf
    892.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 544H CAN termination resistor R2.pdf
    713.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

shadowman1000

I had a few mins to do some checking today ,, I started out checking m12 & m13 by their self , I checked with terminating node installed and could not get a accurate reading , removed both nodes and retested , again didn't look right , showing 6.2 ohms on m12 and 8. to 10. on m13 . I was watching a big storm heading my way and knew I only had a few more mins so wanted to check volts as I disconnected each controller , I disconnected the tcu first , then remembered I should have done a new baseline volts first , so I turned main power off and reconnected tcu and turned main power back on . I looked at display and all was working normal , gear position , started machine , park brake released.. so if im thinking right its got to be tcu plug or pins loosing contact .

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Good possibility. Any time a connection is disturbed and then things work I would be checking the pins in the connector of the TCU for corrosion and fit. Then check the wiring near the TCU connector. I see many wires broken on various machines near or at the crimp of the terminal. Another possibility is a cracked solder joint within the TCU:(......Let's hope for wiring;)!

shadowman1000

everything is still working . im going to wait til it does it again before I look for the problem . I want to thank you for your help

shadowman1000

well , after 6 months of machine working as it should its back to doing the same thing . code 1655 no tcu transmit . I tried unplugging the tcu and replug like I did last time , no change .. I have all my notes from last time and I will go though everything again. if anyone has had code 1655 and found the problem

shadowman1000

MG2361 if I could ask for your help again .
only code is 1655 , everything else works as it should.
I rechecked M-12,M-13 and RO2 for continuity . ok
check ohms of M-12 , M-13 at TCU , CCU , term resistor . 63.3 ohms
at MDU term resistor. 64.3 , at MDU plug A and B. 65.4 ohms
checked volts at MDU , grounded at RO-2 , M-12 2.39 volts , M-13 2.28 volts .
moved ground to frame and rechecked M-12 1.94 volts , M-13 1.84 volts .
im sure I forgot to check something .
I did unplug the TCU and try to move the pins with my knife ,re plugged and it worked , park brake released , worked the machine for 1 hour . the next day park brake would not release , I repeated what I did the day before and no change .
I don't mind buying a TCU if im sure that's the problem but being a pricey part I need to be sure . cant find another machine to swap TCU's with .
I did replace the MDU recently and I didn't reconfigure it , could that affect the TCU ?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
The monitor should be configured. I am not sure if the configuration will cause your issue however. It is starting to sound like you need a TCU. Maybe a solder joint is broken inside the TCU??

shadowman1000

I have the file on the reconfiguring steps just never did it . the parking brake issue started long before the monitor was replaced .

shadowman1000

I reconfigured the monitor and had some codes because I didn't turn some things on and everything worked great for 3 days , I ran it everyday just to check . then on the 4th day it was back ,, dashes on the display, park brake would not release , 1655 code . BUT also codes 1664 (brake light pressure circuit), code 307 (tcu volts high), and have seen code 0339 (tcu sensor voltage short to ground) several times.
machine volts are a high of 27.9 just after start up and a normal of 27.6 volts , I checked at tcu and it matched battery display volts I spent a few hours with it today and could get the park brake to release but it would come back on in 40 seconds , while it was running I tried unplugging tcu and watching display as I plugged it back up , display would be right for 1 min the go to dashes . if I could get it to move 20 feet with out it locking up , it would work for hours .

shadowman1000

I took the tcu apart to look , everything looked normal other than a couple gray solder joints . got fairly aggressive with the wiring harness trying to see a change on the display .

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Just want to rule something out. Check the battery terminal at the alternator for AC voltage with the engine running. What do you have?

shadowman1000

AC volts ? I don't you mean DC ? its got 27.92 volts at the alternator , 27.83 at the starter , 27.97 on the display , at the tcu P02 27.79 volts , P24 26.92 volts , M 12-13 2.46-2.35 volts .
went back through the reprograming of the monitor and then park brake would release , shut it off and went back 2 hours later and NO park brake release . still have code 339 , 1664 , 307 , 1655

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Yes, AC volts. If you have more than 1 V AC (bad diode?) it could wreak havoc with the controllers.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Check voltage from TCU pins 1 and 2 (backprobe with connector connected to controller) when the engine is running. Should be less than 0.100 V DC. If higher check the ground at starter. If voltage is good then you may need a TCU.

shadowman1000

Check voltage from TCU pins 1 and 2 (backprobe with connector connected to controller) when the engine is running. Should be less than 0.100 V DC. If higher check the ground at starter. If voltage is good then you may need a TCU.

It is .006 volts , I went through my notes from months ago and it was .007 volts.

shadowman1000

I did notice this today . the main power disconnect is bad , machine will crank and start with switch in the off position