• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 450J intermittent throttle problem

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
A buddy of mine called me in to look at a JD450J 2007 dozer that is having a problem coming off idle when you turn the throttle wheel, sometimes it responds great revs up, decelerator pedal works... other time it just sits there idling and you may have to restart it a few times to get it to work...

It has a couple codes showing in it right now:

F423

F9C3

So far we checked all the wiring harnesses we could access and pulled the main plugs into the computer and most other plugs to sensors but all seems ok???

Any ideas where else to check or what the code mean?

Thanks, Ron

gladiatore

When diagnostic trouble code appears, shut engine off and restart engine to check if diagnostic trouble code is an intermittent problem. Investigate circuit failure identified by diagnostic trouble code.

The diagnostic trouble code number is indicated by an F3 plus two other digits.

The letter F means that a fault has occurred. The number 3 means the transmission controller has diagnosed a problem in the transmission area and has sent a diagnostic trouble code to the controller window to be displayed.

The last two digits of diagnostic trouble code number indicate specific failures.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (1), it indicates that at least one of the sensor voltage wires is less than 4.75 volts or more than 5.25 volts.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (2), it indicates that battery voltage is less than 9 volts or more than 16.5 volts.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (3), it indicates a problem with B2 FNR Sensor.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (4), it indicates a problem with B5 Left and Right Steer Sensor.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (5), it indicates a problem with B1 Decelerator Sensor.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (6), it indicates a problem with B4 Transmission Speed Control Sensor.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (7 or M), it indicates a problem with B7 Left Track Motor Speed Sensor.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (8 or N), it indicates a problem with B3 Right Track Motor Speed Sensor.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (9), it indicates a problem with B6 Hydrostatic Pump Speed Sensor.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (A or E), it indicates a problem with B8 Rear (LH) Pump Pressure Control Pilot (PCP).

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (C or D), it indicates a problem with B9 Front (RH) Pump Pressure Control Pilot (PCP).

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (P), it indicates a problem with S20 Park Lock Lever Switch and/or S4 Brake Pedal Switch.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (H), it indicates a problem with S3 Neutral Start Switch.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (J), it indicates the F3J4 diagnostic trouble code was displayed when exiting calibration with out completion. Wrong harness. Wrong transmission controller, or when a new transmission controller has been installed and not calibrated.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (K), it indicates a problem with Y3 (RH) Motor Shift Solenoid.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (L), it indicates a problem with Y4 (LH) Motor Shift Solenoid.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (R), it indicates a problem with B27 Reverse Speed Ratio switch.

If the third digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (T), it indicates a problem with B4 Transmission Speed In Grip (SIG).

If the fourth digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (0, 2, 3, or 5), a open circuit, shorted circuit, or no feed back is indicated. Do not attempt calibration. See diagnostic trouble codes.

If the fourth digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (1 or 4), a calibration error or circuit failure is indicated. Access main menu and select DIAG in transmission controller. Compare calibrated values to real time values! If values don't match RECALIBRATE.

NOTE:
If diagnostic trouble code (311, 314, 321, or 324) is displayed DO NOT CALIBRATE, see diagnostic trouble codes.

If the fourth digit of the diagnostic trouble code number is (6, 7, 8, or 9), it is the result of calibrating indicating there is a failure. The failure must be fixed before calibrating again. See diagnostic trouble codes.

There are sixty two “62” Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

The following twenty two “22” Diagnostic Trouble Codes will display in transmission controller window, will be stored in memory and the “Check Diagnostic Trouble Code” light on the display monitor will be ON: F311, F314, F321, F324, F330, F331, F334, F335, F340, F341, F344, F345, F3A0, F3A5, F3C0, F3C5, F3D0, F3D5, F3E0, F3E5, F3H1, F3H4.

The following forty “40” Diagnostic Trouble Codes will display in transmission controller window and will be stored in memory: F350, F351, F354, F355, F360, F361, F364, F365, F370, F372, F373, F375, F380, F382, F383, F385, F390, F392, F393, F395, F3P0, F3P5, F3M1, F3M4, F3N1, F3N4, F3J0, F3J1, F3J4, F3J5, F3K3, F3L3, F3R0, F3R1, F3R4, F3R5, F3T0, F3T1, F3T4, F3T5

There are forty four “44” Calibration Codes.

The following forty four “44” Calibration Codes will display during calibration: F336, F337, F338, F339, F346, F347, F348, F348, F356, F357, F358, F359, F366, F367, F368, F369, F396, F397, F398, F399, F3A6, F3A7, F3A8, F3A9, F3E6, F3E7, F3E8, F3E9, F3C6, F3C7, F3C8, F3C9, F3D6, F3D7, F3D8, F3D9, F3H6, F3H7, F3H8, F3H9, F3T6, F3T7, F3T8, F3T9.

!CAL Displayed On Controller and Check Diagnostic Trouble Code Light Flashing
This displayed on the controller indicates that calibration was not completed

Thanks to Elvin for this chart i hope help all JD owners

gladiatore

BTW, you also have in Operator manual from machine the codes, or you can go to a JD dealer and ask (they always help,not like cat guys jajajajaj)

Ronsii

Occupation
Thanks for the info gladiatore :)

I've seen some of that before somewhere... maybe another forum, just couldn't interpret my codes from it.

As far as I know he doesn't have any manuals for the machine, will check with the dealer on Monday hopefully these codes are just a bad sensor or wiring.

One other bit of info: the computer power light is on but the status light is only lit red briefly on initial powerup after that no status light.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Fairon;)! Key on, press and hold the menu button until "service menu" pops up. Press next until monitor is highlighted, press select, press next until hide (in your case it will probably say unhide) menu is highlighted, press select, monitor might flash momentarily and then it should read hide. Key off and back on. Now you should be able to read codes without going into the service menu. However now that you can get into the service menu you will be able to read codes whether the menu is hidden or not.

Ronsii

Occupation
I thought I had updated the original post with the resolution we ended up doing??? guess not :)

Anyways with the multitude of codes we were getting I finally ripped the computer apart and discovered a liquid had penetrated between the paint layers near the main connector and caused corrosion in various spots on the PC board and more importantly around pin headers on the main connector! it is a multi row connector soldered into a 4 or 6 layer PC board :eek: I didn't feel comfortable doing any more than a surface cleaning as desoldering the connector 'might' have been beyond my capabilities. So after a cleaing we put it back in and still had issues :( I figure it was the corrosion still under the pin header plastic... so my buddy decided to send it off to a highly recommended outfit that specializes in repair of these things... well he got it back from them and still no joy :( plus they wanted 3-400 just for the cleaning they did which wasn't anymore than I did :eek:
In the end he finally broke down and ordered one from the dealer (ouch!!!) that fixed it:)