• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 450C grinding gears and no low range

Ken Wells

First, thanks for allowing me to join this group, looking for some experienced help with my new (to me) John Deere 450C
Did a search and could not find any information that I was specifically looking for so......
Bought a 450C to clean up some property I own, as near as I can tell, about a 1976 model. motor runs great, acceptable undercarriage and for the most part does a good job for what I bought the machine for, however.... I have no low range, hi and reverse work fine but when I shift to low, it's like it goes into neutral. Linkage seems to be adjusted fine but nothing in low.
Also from what I think may be a separate problem, with the clutch depressed can't shift 1-2-3-4 without grinding gears unless the motor is stopped. Clutch seems engage/disengage normally. From what I can tell from other posts is there is a hydraulic pressure adjustment inside the bell housing.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Ken;)!

I always start with the complete clutch adjustment procedure and shift linkage wear.

Check your PM's.

Ken Wells

HLR linkage was terribly worn at the transmission. These parts are obsolete from JD so I made a new “eye” for the lower lever and welded it in, welded up the trunion, re-drilled and reamed .5” good snug fit.
Adjusted the linkage (thanks mg2361) and now I have low range.