• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

deere 410D Front Spindle Bushings

skymoco

Any tricks to getting the spindle bushings out. The ones in there now are worn paper thin on one side. I've resorted to just using a chisel and getting the top one out bit by bit, and I can make a press on the lathe and get the bottom one after the top is out of the way.

Any hints appreciated.20230524_161957.jpg

Tinkerer

I care.
Projects like yours is interesting and something I have done many times.
Your driver is exactly what I was trying to describe.
The ones I have had made have a hole drilled in the center on a lathe.
It allows me to use threaded rod to pull camshaft bearings in or out.
Using threaded rods allows precise control of the depth the bushing travels in the bore.
If the bushing has grease hole in it make the driver twice as long as the bushing. Then scribe a straight line down the driver.
Set the center of the grease hole in the bushing on the line. Then remove the grease zerk from the rod and clean out the hole.
Look down the grease hole and you can see the scribed line.
You will get perfect alignment of the two holes every time.
When doing camshaft bushings you need the crankshaft removed so that you can look down the oil galeries to camshaft bearings.
An LED flashlight makes it easy to see the two holes as they begin to line up.

Last edited:

skymoco

How tight should the new spindles be? I ordered a couple and with the new bearings, its a real effort to get the spindles in. I don't think I need to ream the new bushings to size, but I am not sure.

skymoco

No, I made a spindle bearing installer tool (the remover with a hole in it for some ACME threaded rod) and a spindle installer with a threaded rod with 5/8 thread on one end to screw into the spindle. That sledge hammer in the background is just there as a threat in case it decides not to cooperate.

20230601_095417.jpg

Last edited: