• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 4045h won't start

mattyt1984

Please see video cranks good but shows lots of codes. Any ideas this was used to run a fire protection water pump.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Complete engine serial number is needed.

With those voltage too high codes, I suspect a wiring issue. I also do not like the engine rpm at 0 when cranking. Battery voltage good while cranking (+9.5 volts)?

Can you clear the codes, then crank it again to see what comes back?

mattyt1984

4045HFC28, serial number PE4045L251727

Battery voltage over 12 when cranking I have a new battery and charger on it. I can't see how to clear the codes. After disconnecting battery same codes come bake

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I don't remember if going through the menu button will give you a clear codes option. I'll have to dig to see if I can find the monitor instructions.

Anyway, none of the codes will prevent startup. I am concerned with 0 rpm while cranking. Again, I am also concerned with all the similar voltage codes. To repeat myself and Marshall, I suspect wiring /ground issues. Checking the powers and more importantly, the grounds for the ECU. Ground wires for the ECU when backprobed should not be higher than 0.1V with the key on. Might read something higher when cranking (0.4V max). What really needs to happen now is have Service Advisor connected to see if (1), it communicates, which I suspect it will since the monitor is not all dashes, and (2), to watch the readings when cranking to see if it goes into start control.

I know you have many electrical related codes, but has the fuel delivery been checked? Good low fuel system pressure while cranking?

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I can't see how to clear the codes. After disconnecting battery same codes come bake
The monitor (Murphy PV-101) can "Hide" the codes but not clear them, all it's going to do is tell you is what the ECU is seeing through the CANbus. Codes will continue to come back since they're active.

mattyt1984

I was not able to find any bad or loose grounds. This unit actually has 2 ECU's. Same codes appear with either of the ECU's.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If both ECU's show the same codes, then wiring would be most likely the issue. A short to power within the harness? Have you checked any of those sensor signal voltages to see if they are at 5 volts or higher?

I also think that cranking speed is a bit low.