• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 4045D suction on exhaust

mattyt1984

I purchased power unit knowing it didn't run. I rebuilt injection pump and it fired up but was missing in one cylinder. I removed exhaust manifold and found 1 all exhaust ports had a little suction number 1 much more than the others. I removed head and redid the valves. I reinstalled head and it does the same thing. Watch video below I removed intake push rod and #1 still has suction. I'm thinking has to be camshaft issue or timing but it does not appear that timing cover was ever removed. Any other ideas before I tear it down.

Acecadet

Well sure it will have suction. You are not letting any air in the cylinder on the intake stroke. When the piston goes down with no valves open on the intake stroke it creates a vacuum, then it runs an empty compression stroke. Basically vacuum back up to atmospheric on the compression stroke. Then makes a vacuum once again on the power stroke, ending with opening the exhaust valve at around the bottom of the stroke sucking your rag in.

mattyt1984

If so it is pretty much only on cylinder 1. I could try looking if there. The other cylinders from what I have been reading may be normal to have a slight amount of suction due to valve overlap.

Diesel Dave

What made you check for potential suction at the exhaust ports ?
I’ve never heard of checking that when investigating an engine miss.
Did you do any other testing before pulling the cylinder head ?
You said the engine runs so I doubt that cam timing is an issue .If you want to confirm that the cam / crank timing is correct, just check that the intake and exhaust rocker arms on cylinder #1 or cylinder #4 start to move in opposite direction when the timing pin is able to be installed in the flywheel. On that engine the flywheel timing hole indicates top dead center (TDC).
You can check for suspect severe camshaft lobe and or lifter wear by measuring individual valve lift comparing it to valve lift in any known good cylinder.

Last edited:

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I see atomized fuel coming out of 2 & 3, but none out of #1. Maybe the cyl #1 fuel nozzle is wonky? What am I missing? Checking vacuum levels at an exhaust port? How does one quantify that and compare to spec?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Is that atomized fuel or just the little clouds of water vapor that sometimes result from air going through compression and then back again in the cold? These engines usually light right off when you crank them no matter how cold so I am surprised it did not take off and run.

Otherwise this test makes no sense to me with that #1 rocker off like that either.

Put it all back the way it should be, cam should be easy enough to check by measuring the push rod travel.

Diesel Dave

Right at the start of the video you can see that none of the injector high pressure lines are connected.
This is not an attempt at starting but truly unclear as to what it is !
I agree with Birken Vogt , reinstall the push rod and check push rod travel. If that proves ok, connect the high pressure fuel lines and attempt to start the engine . Send another video of the engine attempting to start (or running) with all the exhaust ports and rocker arms exposed.

Last edited:

mattyt1984

Engine runs well now. I never realized that valves had overlap and you will get a bit of suction at exhaust manifold. The reason the number 1 cylinder was not firing is because the injector was bad. Thanks for the help.