• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 350

knucklehead98

The company that I work for has rented a 350 D LC for me to run . I ran it 3 days this week, and am set up for next week also. Machine has 570 hrs on it. Now it seems to me that it has alot of noise out of the swing gear on it. It also has all new bolts in the lower half of the swing assembly.Do these things have a disease there?or could it be something else?

Also, it seems to me that the hydraulics are very "jerky" for a lack of better terms. Sometimes when I let go of the stick, it just wants to bounce back and forth.

Boss was asking me what I thought of it , but I am kinda stuck on these two issues. I was just wondering if anyone else had a opinion on these machines.

Thanks Heath

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
The company that I work for has rented a 350 D LC for me to run . I ran it 3 days this week, and am set up for next week also. Machine has 570 hrs on it. Now it seems to me that it has alot of noise out of the swing gear on it. It also has all new bolts in the lower half of the swing assembly.Do these things have a disease there?or could it be something else?

Also, it seems to me that the hydraulics are very "jerky" for a lack of better terms. Sometimes when I let go of the stick, it just wants to bounce back and forth.

Boss was asking me what I thought of it , but I am kinda stuck on these two issues. I was just wondering if anyone else had a opinion on these machines.

Thanks Heath

I've never run a 350D LC, but I bought a brand new 270 D LC this spring. Love the machine, smooth, good on fuel, and pretty strong. I used it to do a sewer line and was surprised it pulled the big trench box we had. You guy's may have a lemon or something. Would it be possibly to go to the Deere dealer and try a new one?

Reuben

Thanks Heath

I have ran the hitachi 350,(basically all the same machine). I was not very impressed. there was a JD 270 right beside it and I almost felt the 270 had as much as the 350. here is a couple of pics of the job we were on.....

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,330
  • 137_3737.jpg
    137_3737.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,331
  • 137_3769.jpg
    137_3769.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,328

knucklehead98

I actually requested another machine(smaller), and was told to bad. Seems that with all of the flooding in Iowa, that is where all of the local rental equipment is at.In other word to bad.

All of the digging that I have done is in real loose material, So I really can't give the machine a fair shake as far as power. In all fairness, the only thing that has really has been tested is the A/C and the stereo. And they have both passed with flying colors. The fuel consumption has been pretty good also(1/4 tank in 30 paid hours).

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech

Thanks Heath

Does this machine have ZX Link? Also PM me the s/n, the 350 should be out digging the 270 overall. However some operators may feel like the the 270 is a better machine, but in actuality the 270 just cycles faster. That doesn't make it a more productive machine though, you need to see how fast you are loading the same truck with both machines. If your 270 feels stronger (breakout force) then there is another issue with the 350.
I must admit though it is real hard to beat a 270, these are the flagship mid size excavator. There is no machine on the market that metric size that can out dig it, any one who tells me otherwise has not tested them properly.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
I have ran the hitachi 350,(basically all the same machine). I was not very impressed. there was a JD 270 right beside it and I almost felt the 270 had as much as the 350. here is a couple of pics of the job we were on.....

Who's the n00bsick digging over his travel motors?

knucklehead98

Does this machine have ZX Link? Also PM me the s/n, the 350 should be out digging the 270 overall. However some operators may feel like the the 270 is a better machine, but in actuality the 270 just cycles faster. That doesn't make it a more productive machine though, you need to see how fast you are loading the same truck with both machines. If your 270 feels stronger (breakout force) then there is another issue with the 350.
I must admit though it is real hard to beat a 270, these are the flagship mid size excavator. There is no machine on the market that metric size that can out dig it, any one who tells me otherwise has not tested them properly.

Sorry I just got home from running the 350 so I did not get the numbers off of it. As I posted before, I have not had this thing in any hard digging yet, so I could not give it a fair evaluation on that issue. Also with this being a rental machine, who knows what kind of abuse it has been through.

And yes 1/4 tank in 30 hours was mostly idle time. Lifes good on the railroad sometimes. They have a policy that you do not shut a machine off while it is fouling a track (within 4 foot of ballast line), So you end up with alot of idle time. Important thing is it was all PAID time!!!!!!:thumbsup

Also I haven't had the opportunity to run a 270 yet so I Have no comment about them yet.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Haha no not really =D Just giving you a hard time so if you were the one who was guilty you'd remember next time *wink*

Back to the originaly topic we have a 350 hiding somewhere and the fuel guy says he only fills it every second day (we run them 12 hours a day). That tank is massive for what it burns. There is an option on the computer that shows your fuel consumption, you may be interested in checking that out.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Digging over drives:

I noticed that myself... in fact right away... in second pic. they're hung over
enough to possibly cause me some concern, at least from looking at the bank
stability in the picture... could have been a lot better than the picture shows
though...:beatsme

OCR... ;)... :)

Last edited:

Reuben

I noticed that myself... in fact right away... in second pic. they're hung over
enough to possibly cause me some concern, at least from looking at the bank
stability in the picture... could have been a lot better than the picture shows
though...:beatsme

OCR... ;)... :)

The bank was actually pretty stable there. Solid rock after 15' then the same down to the bottom,(45')Found out "Bill" was running the 270 that day.(to answer your question) haha:D.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
could have been a lot better than the picture shows
though

The bank was actually pretty stable there. Solid rock after 15' then the same down to the bottom,(45')

Thank you... that can happen when trying to interpret pictures...:bash
I was out of line for even trying to make a judgment call... won't happen again... my apologies...:eek:

OCR

Reuben

:)
Thank you... that can happen when trying to interpret pictures...:bash
I was out of line for even trying to make a judgment call... won't happen again... my apologies...:eek:

OCR

Man oh Man no no. you were not out of line at all:)no need what so ever to apologize. I would like to think every one would be conscerned but I know most ppl just dont care.

knucklehead98

Haha no not really =D Just giving you a hard time so if you were the one who was guilty you'd remember next time *wink*

Back to the originaly topic we have a 350 hiding somewhere and the fuel guy says he only fills it every second day (we run them 12 hours a day). That tank is massive for what it burns. There is an option on the computer that shows your fuel consumption, you may be interested in checking that out.

I turned the fuel consumption gauge on, When I was actually working ,it was around 48L an hour. Whatever that is!!!!!

ncbschzzt

Occupation
I turned the fuel consumption gauge on, When I was actually working ,it was around 48L an hour. Whatever that is!!!!!

LOL, I have no idea what the theory was behind that little option. It only reads what fuel is being delivered and not what is actually getting burned. The computer has no idea how much fuel is going back to tank from the return side of the fuel system. I guess it is more of a "wow thats neat" option, I just really don't know.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
LOL, I have no idea what the theory was behind that little option. It only reads what fuel is being delivered and not what is actually getting burned. The computer has no idea how much fuel is going back to tank from the return side of the fuel system. I guess it is more of a "wow thats neat" option, I just really don't know.

Are you sure? I don't know much about it, but I do know that the number changes depending on how much you load up the machine. My friend was climbing a steep slope where he had to run both tracks and pull with the stick and he had that gauge up to like 62L/h

If it was just how much was going through the transfer pump wouldn't the number remain constant?

ncbschzzt

Occupation
I wasn't saying I don't know how it works I was just saying I don't know why it was installed. It is only reading fuel delivery and this is actually a a few calculations that include fuel pressure, engine load, and a few others. There is not an actual fuel flow metering sensor in the fuel system. I think it was more for an operator to be able to see what he can do to use less fuel based on the readings I just spoke about.