• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 350 Dozer? Opinions?

colson04

I know this is a loaded question, but how do people feel about a Deere 350 as a small farm dozer?

I've got a bunch of long term projects around my farm from light grade work to clearing fence rows that a dozer would be well suited to and a Deere 350 just came for sale for $8500 locally. I don't have pictures or know the UC condition yet, but I'm trying to meet with the seller today or tomorrow to go check it out. I know bigger is better for some jobs, but this won't be production work and I'm in no rush to sub it out. Plus, I like running equipment as a hobby.

Thoughts? Tips?

colson04

Engine fired fast from cold, though it was 85 deg out. 3 of 4 injectors have been replaced as per owner. Blows some white smoke and throttle seemed erratic while operating. Certainly not a miss, but engine speed took off while I was driving and i had not touched it. Power reverser shifted firm and quick as it should. 4 speed transmission. Shows 3712 hours. Been repainted at some point. Few new hoses, most show their age.20180815_170622.jpg 20180815_170637.jpg 20180815_170617.jpg 20180815_170613.jpg

colson04

I was a little concerned when the owner showed me a special adapter in the arm rest, told me it was for greasing the undercarriage , and then said he wasn't sure how it worked as he's never used it.

Also, the left steering lever had to be pulled all the way to the seat before it engaged. Right steer lever might need adjusting if there is any, but it's not anywhere near as bad as the left side. Machine was able to stop the left track, but you had to pull the lever all the way to do it.

CavinJim

Changing 3 off 4 injectors on a JD350 is a pretty neat trick considering they are only 3 cylinder engines! It looks in good shape for its age, better than my 350 loader. But that price seems a bit high to me, though I haven't checked on what they're bringing lately. I've always been surprised by what I can do with my little loader, but I'm not sure I'd want a dozer that light. Don't plan on much more than clearing small stuff or finish grading. The steering clutch and brake mechanism is easy to adjust. Mine was doing exactly what you describe and it went away after a readjustment. I'd be more concerned about the saggy tracks.

colson04

I got the overall impression the owner didn't know squat about what he had. He was an elderly man that had bought it as a retirement toy for his property.

That said, I didn't have tools with me do to the circumstances and all the engine shields are bolted on. I really had no idea what particular engine was in there til just now.

I'm not sure this is worth pursuing. I would prefer a 550 or 650 sized machine, but then they get more expensive to buy, more expensive to haul, etc. We'll see, my projects aren't in any hurry.

colson04

I inquired about the track tension and he said he had never tightened the tracks since he bought it 10 years ago. I'm pretty certain he didn't know how

Welder Dave

See what it says on the name plate and get a serial number. Then you can get a better idea of what it might be worth. Sprockets look not too bad but looks like wear on the sides of the rails. Would be good to see what the bottom rollers look like.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
I have a 450 C track loader and am constantly amazed by the work it will do. A couple of things to consider. The "C" model have oil filled clutches, if the machine is going to see intermittent use, the dry clutches on the earlier version can seize up from moisture. The heavier machine will push better and the larger machine might be a better fit for you. I am 6'5" and the larger operator station is more comfortable for me with long arms and legs.

Good luck!

Rick

ACBJohn

Occupation
Engineer
I have a '67 IH 500 gas. About the same sized machine as a 350. I bought it to maintain existing log roads on our property. That was until we got estimates for a 1000 foot driveway...up to $90k. I can tell you that my machine wont do anything fast. It is great for finish grading material, but if you get into virgin soil, you can't take a very big cut. After buying an excavator and dump truck, I have now completed the driveway (it took 2 summers, but we weren't in a hurry) and graded a pad where we built a 32x56 pole building. You state that you aren't in a hurry and you aren't looking to do contract or production work. If it fits your budget, go for it! Unlike mine, parts should be readily available if you need them.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Surge, temperamental speed oscillations sounds like pump, will be a Stanadyne Roosa Master and they have a bad habit of doing this just before full failure. Rails look good except the roller wear pushing on the pin bosses, lowers are probably done, sprockets are good but these machines are not clearing dozers they were built as finish dozers as they do not have the weight for heavy work. Will still do considerable work but not going to be fast or very efficient. A 550 or 555 will do you a one step better and at the asking price not a bargain on this one.

Tinkerer

Like DMiller said "it is no bargain." And I agree. I put a lot of hours on different model 450 John Deeres and I would strongly urge you to look at those as the very smallest to buy. You will be frustrated to no end with a 350 for anything but finish work.

colson04

I appreciate the insight guys. With the way it was surging and the white smoke coming out the stack, I was pretty sure there was an injection system problem occurring or imminent. I'll let this one pass.

I have run a 550G Deere and really liked it. Fairly productive machine and not too big for small work either. I'll keep my eyes open

Iron@Dirt

sold my 350b a few years ago, did some light pay work with it, repaired it several times to get it in decent shape. all that being said, glad i sold it and moved on to another project, a d39p which needed more work than i realized. now this is a dozer that can do decent work around a farm or camp. just much more productive and stronger than the 40 to 70 hp machines.

North Texan

Having run a JD350 for fencelines, road work, and even a few fire lines, I'd say pass. As others have said, its just too small to do much of what is needed with farm work. For most farm work, a 550 is about as small as I'd go. Really, a D6C or D6D is always what I've considered the perfect farm dozer if you aren't having to haul them much.