• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 310SG pump flow testing

Tim Burke

Machine in view is a 310SG S/N T0310SG942485. I have a question about pump flow testing procedures. I have the manuals for this machine and the flow test procedure directs plumbing the meter directly into the pump outlet between it and the backhoe control valve stack. I was looking in a 301SJ manual and it directs slaving the flow meter in place of the backhoe bucket cylinder. Question is, is there something appreciably different between the two models that would preclude using the SJ procedure on the SG?

Last edited:

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Follow the "SG" procedure. On all Deere backhoes (all machines in general as well) we plumb directly from the pump. Plumbing into the bucket cylinder is not an accurate way to flow test. Too many places for leakage to occur during testing that could lead to a false pump failure reading. Newer models (310SK and SL) show the test from the pump. I don't know why Deere never changed the manual for the SJ to reflect that.

Tim Burke

Next question(s), same vein. Is there a Deere component part reference for hose fabrication? The online part lists are not always clear on connector configurations, even though the notes may say to fab the hose. Also, what are the STI numbers in Deere's part lists? The serial breaks are clear enough, but the STI numbers are not correlating to anything obvious. Where there is no serial mentioned, how does one readily determine which STI matches the machine being worked?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Ignore the "STI" number. That is just a reference Deere uses (not the Dealers). I think it is the artwork number assigned by Deere. As far as the the hoses, Deere's parts pages may or may not show hose length but never show fitting information. For that we have a sight we plug the part number into to get the hose recipe.

For example your pump outlet hose recipe (these are Parker numbers, Deere numbers add an X in front of them) for AT303066 is:
Left Fitting : 1JC43-12-12
Right Fitting : 1J943-12-12
Hose : 351TC-12
Cut Length : 47.88

Tim Burke

For example your pump outlet hose recipe (these are Parker numbers, Deere numbers add an X in front of them) for AT303066 is:
Left Fitting : 1JC43-12-12
Right Fitting : 1J943-12-12
Hose : 351TC-12
Cut Length : 47.88

Firstly, thanks for the info. Did you mean AT303065? This is an SG. The parts book shows the 66 hose for a regular 310.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Did you mean AT303065?

OOPs:confused:! You are correct. I'll blame it on not having finished my first cup of coffee yet:D.

That hose (AT303065) subs to AT357648

That recipe is:
Part No. Left Fitting : 1JC71-16-16
Part No. Right Fitting : 1J971-16-16
Part No. Hose Material : 772TC-16
Cut Length : 46.80

Tim Burke

OOPs:confused:! You are correct. I'll blame it on not having finished my first of coffee

Thanks. Approaching 57, I know that feeling all too well. Of course, I’ve also ordered simple hardware and received major structural items, so my trust in published IPBs isn’t real high. This info makes it much easier to figure out the adapters I need to cobble up a hydro test kit for this machine. I don’t have Deere’s specified SE, or a full shop, so I’m working w/ generic test equipment that doesn’t match the callouts in the manual.

The machine has relatively low hours, 2700ish, but wasn’t treated well. It was stored near the beach and it shows. I’ve already done a few cylinders, and I need to do several more based on the growing number of spewing glands. That stuff’s easy enough, but I’m also beginning to get loss of steering assist at low RPM. I hear what I perceive to be bypassing in the left swing valve assy that I can silence by moving the lever a bit. I’m not sure yet what to make of that.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I’m also beginning to get loss of steering assist at low RPM

That is sometimes an indicator of pump flow issues, but not always. When you follow the instructions for pump flow testing I believe they want you to test at 2000 psi at 2200 rpm. If it passes the test at 2000 psi increase the psi to 2900 and note how many gpm's it falls from the 2000 psi reading.

Tim Burke

Pri Valve.PNG

So, next question....can't find a part number for the seals on the load sense poppet in the priority valve. There is no part number associated w/ idx 12 on the attached diagram. That seal is part of seal kits AT314538 and AT280406, but I can't find the constituent part details anywhere. Any ideas aside from measuring them? Assuming good pump flow, I wanted to have the priority valve seals in hand for the next item in line.

Tim Burke

Nope. AT314538 is for the system relief and the 406 kit is for the spools. I don't think there is a kit for that. You have to buy the whole valve AT168671.

From looking where these kits are used on other components, I'm kinda getting the feeling that the kit callouts and artwork are not entirely complete. The 538 kit applied to the bucket valve only lists 2 components while 4 are listed here. Idx 33 and 34 indicate the kits both contain Idx 12. The diagram shows Idx 12 used only on the 2 reliefs, and there's no place where 3 and 12 are used together. Based on the artwork, I assumed the 406 would cover the spool and pri poppet. Are there other seals on the spool that are not pictured?

In any case, Hercules responded to a query on the constituent components of their 538 kit that Idx 12 is a 575-009T backup ring. I'm not 100% sure that's accurate either.

kits.PNG

Tim Burke

Just read through Boone's detailed 310E valve bank rebuild--great pics. That clarified most of the mysteries here..... Again, thanks fort the assist, mg2361.