• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 250G or 290G - which thumb for trees and cement work

Md00738

Looking to make an upgrade sometime soon hopefully. Going from a 200CLC to a 250G or 290G. Mostly trees, building demolition, and cement tear out work. I have a direct link thumb now but have never run a progressive thumb, are they better for my conditions? Looking at Tag, CP/Paladin or a few others. Anybody put an aftermarket valve kit on a Deere? Like HKX or one of those kits to control the thumb vs Deere kit?

I would have a regular long stick machine (11 ft.) if that makes any difference besides weight/ballast.

also thinking about a manual quick tach coupler. We don't change buckets all that often but would be nice and lightweight, few tools, 15 min kind of deal. Probably 5-10 bucket changes per year. Thanks

RUKK

Md00738-The progressive link thumb is great when its new, but no matter how good you are with a grease gun, there are just too many joints to keep tight. The normal main-pin thumb is a good choice for functionality and longevity.
Both TAG and CP make good thumbs and I usually stock both. I like TAG a bit better since they have serrated teeth for better gripping.
My shop installs 10-15 auxiliary thumb kits per year and we have found that HKX makes a very good product that is simple to install. The HKX support people seem to be a bit more helpful since that's all they do.
Over the years we have tried many brands of pin-grabber manual couplers and I think that CF (Central Fabricators) probably makes the best of those. Unfortunately, no matter what brand of pin-grabber you get, they tend to create more play at the end of the stick due to the extra leverage and joints.
The BEST manual coupler that I have found for wear, weight, and price is a wedge-lock coupler, like you find mainly in Canada...or on a JD mini excavator. They are half price of pin-grabbers, light, and maintain the original leverage, since they hook over the main pin. I have purchased 240D-270D's out of Canada with 6-7000 hours that are nearly as tight as new!! That won't happen with a pin grabber style.