• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 2154D Processor Low Track Power / Hydraulic Issues

Chopper95

About 5-6 months ago we purchased a 2012 JD 2154D with a 622B Waratah, about 14,000hrs on it.

We've done a good bit of work to the machine just getting it working again everyday, hoses and little stuff on the carrier itself + lots and lots on the Waratah, but nothing significant or extreme in the last 500hrs. Has been pretty reliable / very fast & powerful for the size / good machine / really good track power.

I run it everyday just about, but lately its been giving us problems. All started about a month ago, had been processing all morning, shut the machine down to eat lunch on a really windy and cold day. Went back to run and again and I thought the tracks had snow packed up / froze in the wind because my track power was about half of it should be and wasnt getting around real well.

Low range at full power is like half speed, like loading onto a lowboy - just creeping along. High range is like normal low, a touch faster maybe.
None of the other hydraulic functions seemed to be affected, just the tracking.

Fast forward, it was an issue on and off. Would start the machine and some days it would be totally fine; full track power even at cold start and ran great. Other days it would be in limp track mode and you really couldnt get around until the machine would hit 160-180 hydraulic temp, which would take a couple hours to warm up. But some mornings I can hit 150-170 operating temp within 10-15 minutes of processing. All same weather conditions.

Track issue wasnt a problem for 2-3 weeks solid, no issues at all. Move units and immediately back to limp mode for the last 4-5 working days. But now I can tell things are running slow on the machine and processor head as well, even when the machine eventually warms up to that 170-180 range, it just doesnt seem quite right.

Perfect example though, fire the machine up yesterday morning, put it in warm up mode - its 9 deg F out - and within 10 minutes everything is up to 144 deg F on hydraulic temp and tracks have full power. Past two days it didnt want to do anything at all, no power. BUT I had to shut the machine down to work on the head, which immediately put it into limp mode the rest of the day and I couldnt get the hyd temp to get past 140 again at any point.

Anyways... intermittent low track power (will shuttle between high and low just fine) that can hang around for a few days, or be gone over night.
Can have full track power, but if you shut the machine off, it will derate the tracks unless you warm it way back up to 180 deg, but still feels a little off / not as strong.
Some morning machine will warm to 150+ hyd temp withing 15-20 minutes of working, but other days it will take hours to hit that temp.
Used to have full track power and hyd function even when machine was cold and only hit 120-130 deg hyd temp for the day

Fluids are full , no leaks, I have on error for a SPN 29 FMI 4 Fault: Accel POS2 volt below norm or short low Corrective action: check sensor and wiring - always been on the machine since we bought it.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't have the book to translate what that code means but a lot of times you can get into the diagnostics and see which switch or sensor is operating at a low level. Here is a video showing how to access the diagnostics. The monitor will usually provide a better description of the problem.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I have no experience with that unit, but I'll try offer something, even if it is unintelligible:eek:. Please post a picture of your monitor. I think I know which one you have, but want to be sure.

Do you know how to get into the monitor to check for codes from the hydraulic system?

Also, post a serial number.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Must have been a senior moment. The OP asked about a Deere and I put up a video of a Cat. As I recall these had the old style Hitachi monitor in the cab and back in the left side of the house behind the cab there was another small digital read out that was for the engine only. I know I have photos of the set up somewhere.

This is from my written notes. Hold the top right button on the monitor panel while turning the key on. Next, press the the menu button 3 time and the service menu will show up. Select that menu and the troubleshooting title below will get you to the diagnostics.

The code listing that I have shows SPN29 FMI 2 only instead of a 4. SPN29 shows secondary analog throttle signal but doesn't explain what it means. I suspect it has something to do with a motor, sensor or software that tells a computer where the throttle is either set at and/or where it actually is.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Hold the top right button on the monitor panel while turning the key on.

Actually, press and hold the "SET" button (second one down on the right) and key on. After bulb check, release the button. Then use the "DISPLAY SELECT" button (top right) to scroll through the service information. Then scroll until a "0" (zero) is displayed on the left side of the little screen. That is for the PVC codes. Post the number that is displayed on the right side of the screen. That will be the actual code.

This applies to the monitor shown below only.

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 5.01.21 AM.png

Skegg

I have a 2154D with similar issues, however, I get a high temp fuel code, three in fact. Tracks are slow in operation. The machine goes into a general derate condition. The highest the fuel temp has been is around 147°F

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Skegg;)!

How about you start your own thread and supply a complete machine serial number.

While you are at it, also supply the specific code you are getting. Your tracks might be perceived as slow when the issue is the engine being derated. Or, you have 2 issues:(.

Chopper95

No update with that particular machine. It's sort of on its last legs - needs a new motor and hyd pump, entire wiring harness is rotten, its just worn out all around.

We paid John Deere like $2500 or something ridiculous to come out and look at it for half a day and they basically just said it needs a new main pump; not a good time when I'm telling the field tech that there's a service menu and how to get into it since he didn't know ... but he did have chart to decipher everything

All the cycle times were way under spec, but pilot pressure was fine, couldnt get it to warm up enough while he was there to run fast / normalish, etc.

I moved off the processor and have been running a horizonal grinder for about 4 months now. At that point the weather was getting a lot warmer and it did a little better. I moved it down to the lowboy turn around in May and it was pretty pathetic on the track power, havent been in it since then. They've been fighting engine sludge and turbo went out a week ago on it.

Wish I had more helpful information for you, but I dont. I know theres one or two recirculation valves in line with the tank and I think it might be one of those sticking or some other sort of valving problem. Weak pump very likely as well.

For yours, replace fuel temp sensor? Assume it has one. I know the little cooler in front of the radiator is the fuel cooler on ours. Can temp gun it and see what is reads.
We rewired and overlayed all of our cooling sensors after replacing water pump and both sensors, computer was still putting it into derate. Just unplugged them and said forget it.