• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deck Board Fasteners

csthompson12

I'm replacing deck boards on a 12T deck over trailer.. What do you guys like to fasten down the boards? I didn't really want to tap a bunch of screw holes into the cross members.

Has anyone used something like this?

deck clips.jpg

1466IH

Steel deck trailer lol but all of the decking fasteners I have ever been around are self threading but still have to drill pilot holes. Have seen clips like that before but imagine it is more expensive going that way with extra cost of nuts, washers and the tabs.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’ve seen it done that way, usual screws though the boards into the crossmember and also have seen bolts through wood and crossmember. The above is great on a lowboy with camber as it allows the boards to move as it flexes without breaking the hardware. Deck screws are self tapping, drill a starter hole and they’ll thread themselves in. It’s the best long term securement method on a trailer like that.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’ve been happy with these. Fastenal keeps my bin full.

SKU: 1132539
5/16"-18 x 2-1/2" 6-Lobe Flat Head Black Phosphate and Oil Finish Type F Point Floorboard Thread Cutting Screw

skyking1

^ those. I re-did the 2006 tilt and sure, every now and again a screw breaks off when you take up the old deck, but I take a few measurements and try not to hit the broken off screw or hole. As truck stop mentioned, those clips will start to loosen as the board shrinks and expands, and that does not seem to be an issue with the screws right into the frame.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Never had good look with the tabs, self tapping floor screws, a box of drill bits, tube of cutting wax and your impact driver.

suladas

Old deck had the big washers, when I replaced it I went back to them, I like not drilling into the crossmembers it's also a way easier install. I wish I could have found it but my old decking was tongue and grove, except for where I had broken boards it wasn't loose at all. Decking only been on a few months but none are loose.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
With 8/4 Apitog decking, I used 3-1/4 5/16 self tapping screws. I burned up several pilot bits. Not through the steel, but through the Apitog decking. I would think that a trailer would flex way too much to keep proper tension on tabs like those.