• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Debris Cleanup Contracts

DirtScape

I want to start out by saying that I have lurked in the shadows around here for a couple of years but new posted (or signed up for that matter).

I have been in business with my dump truck and little TLB for over a year now. Mainly doing small stuff, but renting equipment and going for some bigger stuff here and there.

My question is this, how does the whole debris cleanup contracts work? (Demoing after a tornado, hurricane, etc.) Is it something that anyone can get into relatively easily or do you need to have those contacts before hand?

-Jason

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Don't get involved with FEMA is the only thing I have heard lol.

We had the Joplin MO storm a few years ago and contractors are still waiting to get paid.

I am a preferred contractor with several insurance companies and normally get to bid on about everything in the area after fires and what not.

Pj

DirtScape

Thanks for the info Pj.

I have been working with insurance companies and cities for the past few days cleaning up Debris from a storm that came through this week about 90 miles from here. 100 mph winds completely trashed a little town out there. Was thinking about heading up to Moore, but it seems as we are pretty busy with our own here.

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Most of the time it's a cluster F!$@ as everyone with a skid loader is there, I would say they have it taken care of in Moore, a couple years ago when th Joplin tornado went through we never even mobilized and that was only a couple hours away

dirtmonkey

Occupation
dozer monkey , self employed
It's a who you know situation. FEMA has their pets. I will agree with power jokes comments. I know one that went bankrupt waiting on his money. Most of the contractors do a wham bam ,crappy job anyway. You're better off staying local. And no , we don't even try to do any clean up. One year we showed up with equip to help clear a neighbor hood where we had customers and family to look for and told very rudely to leave. We intended to work for free. FUBAR !! :beatsme