• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dealer Gouging

Coal Boss

Occupation
Coal Dock Manager
Had a well known (largely disliked) shop do some work on our WA600. Took them two full days to pull the fuel cooler out and a third to install the replacement. Also had them address our non functioning AC, A new compressor and $2,300 bill for the AC alone, and it has been determined there's a blockage in the system. Could this have been detected before throwing parts and labor at it? To pour salt in the wound, had them toss a starter solenoid on as long as they were on site, with a labor charge of $546. Total bill is over 9 grand. Going to meet and discuss with the service manager, hoping y'all could shed some light on my question regarding the AC, and perhaps methodologies to chip some of this bill down.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
If The compressor wasn’t working there isn’t any way to tell if there’s problems elsewhere. Did they determine the compressor was was bad or just replace it?
Around here dealer road mechanics get around $100 Per hour from shop back to shop.

Coal Boss

Occupation
Coal Dock Manager
If The compressor wasn’t working there isn’t any way to tell if there’s problems elsewhere. Did they determine the compressor was was bad or just replace it?
Around here dealer road mechanics get around $100 Per hour from shop back to shop.
They thought perhaps it blew a deposit when it presumably failed. At this point we're better off cutting our losses and mounting a roof mounted unit.

td25c

That's exactly what we charge For the KW & GMC trucks . Driver is thrown in the package & could care less as long as it aint boring . LOL !100_3385[1].JPG
100_3990[1].JPG
100_3406[1].JPG

Weld , winch , & wrench . Fun & games ….. :)

First thing we did before buying any yellow iron was set up a 1 ton truck with welder , torch tanks & crane on the tool bed . Truck paid for itself pretty quick between repairing our iron and customer service calls .

Could not imagine being without one today with what in field repair costs are . :eek:

It's like paying yourself on a breakdown ! :)

Keep the cash " In House " so to speak .

That way ya won't have a panic attack when the engine scatters in the dirt . Bring the red truck again …. LOL ! :D

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/wabco-c-pull.11965/#post-342531

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
They thought perhaps it blew a deposit when it presumably failed. At this point we're better off cutting our losses and mounting a roof mounted unit.
Dumbschitts should have known enough to pull the orifice tube and flush the system after a compressor failure. Depending on the system change out the expansion valve too.

Tenwheeler

I had to google what a WA600 is and cannot tell you anything about their fuel coolers.
Lets talk about A/C systems a bit: O Relies has been talking to me a bit. Use all their A/C parts and they will warranty parts and labor. That requires compressor, dryer - evaporator, orfice tube or expansion valve, required oil and flush on the purchase ticket. Why? It is all new working parts and they know the system is flushed. If not done how do you know all the trash and old oil is cleaned out?
Some late model condensers have manifold ends like tanks on a radiator. They can never be properly flushed out after a compressor crash. Must be replaced.
Surely you have had a phone call from a warranty company wanting to help you out by extending the warranty on your car? I have but turned them down. Some A/C's I have repaired for customers personal vehicles were paid for by an insurance company. They required proof of A/C repair certification before authorizing repair.
For $2300 I would be asking some of those questions and want to know why I need to pay more!
I am Mr No Body but I am certified. Also have the first book I studied for certification. It explains how to test an expansion valve by watching the gauge pressures while spraying liquid R12 freon on the caperlery tube.
Serious problem with a$2300 A/C job and it has a restriction costing you more money.

heymccall

Just had a TB180FR takeuchi with a locked up AC compressor serviced at a AC specialty shop. Hauled it there, so, no road call.

$1050
New compressor
New condenser
New drier
Lines flushed
Labor

Same repair from Takeuchi dealer was north of $2500, but mostly due to OEM parts pricing.

ianjoub

Dumbschitts should have known enough to pull the orifice tube and flush the system after a compressor failure. Depending on the system change out the expansion valve too.
A/C will have either orifice tube or expansion valve, not both. Many systems use parallel flow condensers. They are virtually impossible to flush adequately and should be replaced when contaminated.