• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

DAVIS Trencher

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Vintage Restos & occasional Tractors
Hi all- not sure if input this in correct forum. Just picked up this Davis Trencher and curious if anyone was familiar with these. It hasn’t ran in probably 20 years from what they said, and few things are frozen on it. Anyone give me the scoop on this thing? Thanks so much.

664A093E-91A3-4122-9C74-A602D6F21C04.jpeg 3BC1A4BC-5C86-4747-AE83-A68A2098DEF1.jpeg 08F0AAFE-17BF-4A7E-AE9A-1AE00C9CA014.jpeg E3963080-2ECD-4F78-8A54-2A47F27EAD94.jpeg

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That's a very Kool lookin machine..
whats powering it?? gas or diesel??
The tracks look very "lawn" friendly..
The hydro "block" looks to be pretty straight forward & easily accessible.
Are u talking about the ENGINE hasn't ran it awhile??

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
That is an old one for sure. There are hundreds of the newer version of those, running everyday here in Texas. Davis trenchers were later built by Case, then Astec. A local equipment dealer still sells them, but I am not sure who manufacturers them now.

Bluox

That's a very Kool lookin machine..
whats powering it?? gas or diesel??
The tracks look very "lawn" friendly..
The hydro "block" looks to be pretty straight forward & easily accessible.
Are u talking about the ENGINE hasn't ran it awhile??
The spark plugs may be a clue.
Bob

74inchShovel

Looks like a Wisconsin TJD,had similar in a Ditch Witch many years ago. Your chain is set up pretty aggressive, farm dirt you’ll be ok, any type of rock you may want to narrow it. Am I seeing it correctly, the outermost hydraulic pump only has one line to it, is one missing?

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
I’d check out hydraulic filter, screen & fluid for sure

Metalman 55

When I was a kid, my dad had one, minus the blade. I think it had about a 15hp Wisconsin one lunger in it. Had steering clutches similar to a track dozer on it & variable speed hyd drive. He had ramps for it & loaded it in the back of a pickup to move it from job to job. It was a nice dependable unit as I recall.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
Been so busy haven’t had time to get back to this post... you all really know your stuff pointing stuff out, lol! Had to take the head off and do the gasket, rebuild the carb and a couple other little things. That Wisconsin fired right up and runs great. Actually got it running and moving under it’s own power today. Still needs a proper gas tank and yes it’s gas, not diesel. Wonder if there was other attachments that you could run on this? Going to try and put video on here- hopefully it will work.

OVERTORQUED

Occupation
On another note, i just found and purchased the user manual and parts manual, so if anyone is in need of any info im more than happy to share. Like there is a ton of these out there lol!

Bob cav

Hi could you send me the user and part manual?
I have one and need some parts and better knowledge of how to use it.
If so I’ll send you my info. Thanks

Koja

Hi all, New to forum, Been doing excavation work in western wa for a few years and was looking to attch a flail mower to my mini ex until i found a Davis T78, no trencher just the blade. I figured i could adapt it to fit a a flail mower for a skidsteer. Any thoughts? ideas? I'm currently in AZ for the winter but will dig into this when i get back in the spring, Motor is dismantled so its going to take some work, I may just sell it for scrap if its too much a headache