1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dangers of welding wheels.

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by Lee-online, Feb 11, 2010.

1. honestherman

honestherman New Member

Got a question Guys. I have a GMC 7000 with Dayton Split wheels 20" on it.
    I will never use it to capacity weight. So I was thinking Getting a tubeless wheel that I can use or have made to use a LT tire on it. Not a split rim.
    Any Ideas guys? I see the new Dodge trucks have a 20" on them. So I just want to get rid of the split rims 900 20's
    Do you know anyone who makes a wheel that I can use?
    Thanks Guys

2. tireman

tireman Senior Member

Are you sure they are Dayton wheels?I'm more inclined to believe that whats on that Jimmy are 20'' hub-piloted wheels with a solid lock ring and drop center wheels(unless this is an old,old Jimmy in which case what you have are "widow-makers"These are the wheels that had no lock ring-they split in two).Dayton wheels use a cast iron spoke hub and the rims are secured with wedges and log nuts, either a 5 or 6 spoke hub.Your truck should have a 10 hole budd style wheel ,with one set of ten lug nuts holding on the duals and 5 studs/nuts on the steer axle.If this is indeed what you have, then the next question is what year is the truck?If it's 70's or newer it should have the solid lock ring variety.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  3. tireman

tireman Senior Member

Regardless of which wheel you have, your only option for what you're looking for is custom made.Big $$.

4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

i think after discussions in another part of the forum regarding welding wheel rims it's about time this thread was brought back to the top for those members who haven't seen it before. I'll also include the link I posted on the other thread out of interest. The guy who wrote this article and myself were part of a team investigating a fatal accident where a LF tyre on a large haul truck exploded and killed the operator. The incident is mentioned on Page 4 as is the root cause of the explosion (#6 on the "initiators" list on Page 1). IMHO what he doesn't know about OTR tyres isn't worth knowing.

Thanks also to Jonas302 for digging up the thread and posting a link to it in the other discussion.

http://otrglobal.com.au/wp-content/...al-bulletin-Tyre-explosion-misconceptions.pdf

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    DMiller likes this.
  5. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Thanks for posting that report Nige :) Some really good info in there.

Got me to thinking though about the TPMS systems... I wonder if it would be feasible to have the sensors sense for oxygen >5% ? since this would be one of the main factors in providing the necessary ingredients for explosions...

6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

You'll note that for an explosion caused by diffusion there is no requirement for any oxygen at all to support combustion.
    This is scary sh1t TBH ............ :eek:

7. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

If they are truly Dayton 20", then 22.5 non-split rims will directly replace them.
    Been slowly weaning the 10.00-20 rubber off my '69 Brockway.

RZucker and DMiller like this.
  8. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

We have a local tire company come to the shop and dismount/mount tires for us. This last summer they were up changing some tires out and one of the guys
    was inflating a steer tire that was just mounted on a 22.5 aluminum rim, He was just getting ready to install the core and the sidewall zippered. Filled his pants
    he did trying to get away from it. No one got hurt, but when one zippers you will know the sound it sounds just like a zipper as the side wall gives way.
    Top name brand tire too.

Truck Shop

DMiller and Wytruckwrench like this.
  9. Wytruckwrench

Wytruckwrench Senior Member

The zippers will make all of yer hair stand on end! I have had 4 different ones zipper on me over the years.

DMiller and Truck Shop like this.