• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Damn you, Milwaukee

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Been using swivel impact sockets for the last decade. Sure glad for the lifetime warranty because my 17 and 19 mm ones need to get replaced once or twice a year.

I've had one of these on my 1/2" impact for the last couple years and it's the best thing ever. Bought a couple more but haven't gotten around to putting them on my 3/8" impact or die grinders yet.AS70B.jpg

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
I've had one of these on my 1/2" impact for the last couple years and it's the best thing ever. Bought a couple more but haven't gotten around to putting them on my 3/8" impact or die grinders yet.View attachment 277820
Yep, same ones I've run on my 3/8" stubby air impact and 1/4" mini air ratchet. Can get into about anywhere with them.

Last edited:

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I might have to try one of those, my ball swivels all end up leaking air. Of course- who knows how old they are, but I do know they leak air.
I use my 1/2" quite often and as far as I can tell it isn't leaking. I'd imagine Mac probably has lifetime warranty on them too.

colson04

What brand of swivel sockets would you guys recommend? I have some cheap harbor freight ones that were a gift and I can't stand them. Bulky, clunky, loose fitting, etc. I think a swivel socket would be a great addition, if they were a quality made piece. I don't want to buy three or four different brands to find out which ones don't work.

ahart

What brand of swivel sockets would you guys recommend? I have some cheap harbor freight ones that were a gift and I can't stand them. Bulky, clunky, loose fitting, etc. I think a swivel socket would be a great addition, if they were a quality made piece. I don't want to buy three or four different brands to find out which ones don't work.
Cat ones are made by snapon and even over the counter price is waaaayy cheaper than snapon off the truck. If you know someone that works for cat, you can’t afford not to have them.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Grey Pneumatic makes GREAT sets of swivels, so does Sunex.

I have a mix of Snap-on/CAT which are pricey (even buying used).

ahart

If you want Cat set part numbers, here they are

3/8 Drive SAE 261-8581
3/8 drive metric 261-8572
1/2 drive SAE 246-8184
1/2 drive metric 246-8199

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
My Mac ones have been decent. I tend to crack the pin in the swivel joint though. I have yet to shear one completely apart despite my continued usage with the cracked pin. I'd say I probably replace the 17, 19 and 24 mm ones every 12-18 months. Mac dealer has never questioned it, just hands me new ones.

JD955SC

The Cat ones are good. Sunex and Grey Pnuematic are as well. If the HF ones are the style with the wire coil keeping the pin in throw them away they will get you hurt.

Matco pinless are the best but the price is insane.

Welder Dave

I have the DeWalt equivalent. It works, but low heat is about useless on mine though. I've used it for electrical heat shrink, to soften shingles up for a repair job, and recently, to put some heat into the fuel primer bulb on my Bobcat when I ran it out of fuel below zero. The rubber squeeze bulb was hard as a brick. A couple minutes with the portable heat gun had it supple and squeezable again.

I don't think it would work well for stripping paint. Takes too long to get hot, and it puts a heck of a draw on the batteries. I use the 5Ah batteries and a full one doesn't last long on the heat gun.
Supple and squeezable are not terms generally used when working on equipment.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A lot of people at the Cat dealership here are waiting for the Cat chain saw.

I have a set of Mac impacts and a set of swivel Matco impacts all in 1/2" drive. I have a set of SK swivels in 3/8" drive. All of them are 30 years old or more. I think that says enough.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I have a Milwaukee heat gun and it works great for heat shrink. it is about 1/2 the power of a corded heat gun but it has more than enough for heat shrinking. Beyond that, the convenience of not laying out a cord more than makes up up for the lower wattage. Cam

mitch504

I posted a generator a while back, Cat branded and pure Chinesium, sold in the local hardware store. A lot here had a hard time believing that they had done such a thing.

Hell, they sell Cat branded cheap chinese workboots at Walmart. Some years back, I read in Deere's annual report that they made more profit off of licensing their name for unrelated products than they did from manufacturing equipment.

JD955SC

Hell, they sell Cat branded cheap chinese workboots at Walmart. Some years back, I read in Deere's annual report that they made more profit off of licensing their name for unrelated products than they did from manufacturing equipment.

at least Deere licenses their name on stuff that makes sense. Cat on the other hand is infatuated with junk, and lots of it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Does Deere put their brand on boots? Cat so far hasn't gotten into lawn mowers, yet. When I worked for the dealer, we were waiting for the Cat branded chain saws. I think they passed on the diesel powered clothes washer years ago. They might have had a hand in the little kickstart gas engine powered clothes washers though.