• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Daewoo 130 LCV - extremely weak tracking

TVA

They say “never assume” but people on this forum kinda assume that OP before, posting here, checked all the simple and obvious things.

John Tobin

I agree with you TVA but for me this is a learning experience as I have never owned an excavator before.
Most certainly I am addressing the simpler things first; however, what is obvious for the experienced plant operator/engineer often times is not so obvious to the less experienced.
What I can say for sure though is that if I was ever to buy another machine I would most certainly be much better equipped to assess it prior to purchase which is in part due to the great support I got here on this forum.
Thanks to Uffex for the info - I will take some photos and let you all know how the replacement of the idler goes
John

TVA

I agree with you TVA but for me this is a learning experience as I have never owned an excavator before.
Most certainly I am addressing the simpler things first; however, what is obvious for the experienced plant operator/engineer often times is not so obvious to the less experienced.
What I can say for sure though is that if I was ever to buy another machine I would most certainly be much better equipped to assess it prior to purchase which is in part due to the great support I got here on this forum.
Thanks to Uffex for the info - I will take some photos and let you all know how the replacement of the idler goes
John

That was more of a self criticizing rant, that’s why I started with “never assume”.

Randy T

This is a follow up to the weak tramming and other issues I previously mentioned. But first I want to thank all of the contributors here for their help, especially TVA for going out of his way to help. It was only because of this forum and members that, after about 7 years of me not being able to figure out what was causing the issues, I was able to fix the issue, otherwise I might not have ever figured out the issue. So thank you all very much!

As it turns out the problem was leaking swivel/center joint seals. This was one part of an excavator that I knew almost nothing about, so I never thought about it having seals or that they could leak until I came across this forum. I realized the seals likely were leaking by running the hoe until everything was fully at operating temperature and the very weak tramming was at its worst, then shut it down for about an hour and a half, removed the tram motor covers, started it back up, idled it up and had my daughter hold a tram leaver all the way back (the hoe was still too warm, therefore too weak to worry about it being able to turn just one track especially with the bucket on the ground), then I started doing the IR thermometer testing on the hydraulic system, everything up to, and including the swivel joint, was steadily rising in temperature but the tram motor and lines only increased very little in temperature after 10 minutes with a tram leaver constantly being pulled back all of the way. So this told me that the fluid was likely bypassing within the swivel joint so I replaced the seals.
I waited this long to post the successful repair because I wanted to test the hoe for hours on a day that was above 80 degrees to be sure it was successful, and I didn't get that chance until the other day. The hoe now walks up steep slopes with no problem. This is very exciting to me because previously I had never been able to that with my excavator after running it for a few minutes.
Thanks again. I hope this helps somebody someday.