• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Daddy Long Legs

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
Every time I see this machine I cant help but chuckle.
HPIM2119.jpg

RoadDoc

That is not an uncommon setup for large diameter pipe projects/ drainage projects. Especially in the western states.

dayexco

what roaddoc said...makes perfect sense, large diameter pipe, compaction wheel or plate on excavator, no need for men down in an uncaged/unprotected excavation to compact along pipe sides. looks slicker'n snot on a door knob although i wouldn't have a use for it, don't get into pipe that big

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
They are not using it for large diameter pipe, they are using it for stepping the trench. They use a large excavator to dig the trench then being this guy in to do the trench steps. Dont ask me I guess they get better production out of their large machine that way.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Well, :jawdrop, I understand what it can be used for but :beatsme I'd have lost a lot of money betting it was a photocrop job :eek: :drinkup

dayexco

They are not using it for large diameter pipe, they are using it for stepping the trench. They use a large excavator to dig the trench then being this guy in to do the trench steps. Dont ask me I guess they get better production out of their large machine that way.

that's a packwheel on that excavator...not a bucket

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator

will

Occupation
Farmer for 19 years
I need one of those

Need a wide UC, on a lighter machine, like a 311 cat for ditching with a V bucket on the farm. Where would a guy find one?

will

Occupation
Farmer for 19 years
.. Something about a third post, but serious about finding an excavator with wide UC.

RoadDoc

Check with a company called John D. Stephens in Atlanta. They have extensive experience with this type of equipment. Sorry I don't have their number for you. They used to be in large diameter pipe. Heard they were getting out of contracting and going into strictly equipment sales. Their shop is off of SR316 in Gwinnett Co.

millertime778

Occupation
Vice President- City Hill Construction Inc.
Thats a pretty sweet setup. Would be a pain in the neck to fit on a lowboy tho! haha:beatsme:drinkup