• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9T cranking amps

nicky 68a

Good afternoon.
A D9 I have started acting up abit with codes coming up.The tech gent reakons one battery is tired and it’s causing overcharging which these fancy ecm things don’t like.
Anyway,Cat reccomend 1400 cranking amps and I can only achieve 1100 cranking amps with non Cat batteries.
Obviously I’ll fit both new batteries,but wanted to avoid buying the Cat ones as the tractor is currently up for sale.
My question is,will the cheaper batteries be ok and not affect the ecm?
We don’t suffer from cold weather here in the UK,and I’ll probably have it sold by winter anyway.
Best regards and thanks

absoluteyukon

Occupation
Fixin' junk.
I would expect that as long as your charging system is functioning correctly and your batteries load test well you should be just fine. The ecm doesnt care how many cranking amps your batteries can produce, but is sensitive to fluctuations in voltage. What codes are active?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have seen that before in 773B trucks with traction control. Operators would hook a stereo player onto one battery and leave it on over night sucking one battery down. I would get a call that the machine was stuck in the mud. Traction control had started not working. Next thing is one battery would start putting out gas out of one or two cells. The I started looking for hidden wires and something stuck under the seat. We let one of those operators go over that and some other problems.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
And here I thought someone was wanting to know where they could buy a hand crank for a D9.
Reminded me of when I was a kid of maybe 10 and A.T.T. was running a big underground cable through town that went right down the middle of our driveway. They left three D8's parked a few feet from our house for the night. The next morning I was shocked when the operators took out these little crank handles and stuck them in the side of that big machine and with a few quick turns had those big machines running again!

Guess I was surprised as I knew how hard it was to just get dad's little push mower running!

nicky 68a

I would expect that as long as your charging system is functioning correctly and your batteries load test well you should be just fine. The ecm doesnt care how many cranking amps your batteries can produce, but is sensitive to fluctuations in voltage. What codes are active?
I’m not sure.The tech chap cleared them all up.One that was a repeat offender was low voltage to steering.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I’m not sure.The tech chap cleared them all up.One that was a repeat offender was low voltage to steering.
Can you double check that with him Nicky. It doesn't sound right to me.
It would most likely either be a Low System Voltage (alternator output or dodgy batteries in other words) or a Diagnostic Code with an FMI03 "voltage below normal" indication from the signal circuit of a sensor somewhere. The 2nd one is nothing to do with either the voltage being put out by the alternator or the condition of the batteries........

nicky 68a

Morning Nige,
Yes,it’s the low system voltage thing.Sorry,my bad.
As you can tell,these modern electronic gadgets are well beyond my bag.
I’ve been able to source some batteries with around 1150 cca and 230 amps per hour,but they are in transit.
There’s no particular hurry as it’s a spare tractor,but I’ll keep you updated

nicky 68a

I’m sat in my local village pub sucking down my third pint of Morretti Nige and should know what oil I’m stuffing into my tractors,but I can’t quite seem to think off hand.
I’m servicing one of the D9’s on Friday and Finnings have sent me boxes of little 5 litre drums of oil as they’ve run out of 20 litre drums! This adds a futher £50 to my service.
I also had to wait 3 days for a 1R 1808 filter.
None in stock.....

nicky 68a

Hello,We ended up fitting new Cat batteries on it to be sure

Attachments

• F63BD84A-AB5C-45B3-B400-CD1CC82A4BD8.jpeg
    F63BD84A-AB5C-45B3-B400-CD1CC82A4BD8.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23
Reactions: DB2

nicky 68a

Allthough new batteries were fitted,I’m still getting this problem.
It works around 3 hours before locking up and going into limp mode.
It does clear for half an hour if you switch master key off,however I’ve stood it down until the tech chap takes a look.
The filters are clean.
It’s also odd,that when I check the ecm,the steering fault never shows at all.
I’m curious as to your opinions please.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1C415E64-51D3-48FA-A805-B3971A735E21.jpeg
    1C415E64-51D3-48FA-A805-B3971A735E21.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 732266E1-8372-418C-B576-73738C8AC806.jpeg
    732266E1-8372-418C-B576-73738C8AC806.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • 85B1EBC1-9E7F-4399-A2B9-DB5937F163EA.jpeg
    85B1EBC1-9E7F-4399-A2B9-DB5937F163EA.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here you go Nicky.
E258 is the Steering failing to respond to a valid joystick command.
Question: Are there any more Codes on that list in your third photo.? If you scroll down there may be more of them. I'd be interested to see if there are any 1469-x or 1470-x Codes there.

1937-2 is the Coolant Flow switch. Procedure attached. Could be nothing more than a dodgy connection somewhere. No relation with the Steering Event as far as I can see.

Attachments

• 1937-2.pdf
    218.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Event Code List.pdf
    340.1 KB · Views: 0

nicky 68a

The tech chap fitted the new batteries and cleared any active codes up on the day.
He also found the 2 yellow buttons on the blade joystick to be faulty and causing problems allthough I’ve never used them.
The flow coolant thing isn’t worrying me too much as it hasn’t tripped any alarms.I also know that the fuel gauge doesn’t function.
It’s the steering thing that causes me to park it up.
It’s a boggle for me,but he’ll get to the bottom of it.
To be fair,the batteries were indeed tired as I could hear abit of an effort to throw the starter in to action,but it’s full of beans now.
I’ll keep the post updated.
Fortunately,my own D9 is handling things fine,but it would be good to get the spare D9 sorted

nicky 68a

There was no more codes to scroll down.That’s all there was although it didn’t log the steering fault in the screen for some bizarre reason.
I should say this is not a tractor that was known to us prior to purchase.
It’s not a tractor that was intended for front line service as it’s abit rough on the eye.However,Finning fitted a new engine and torque into it a year before purchase and it does run well.
It’s just rough with a bent exhaust stack,missing panels here and there and various mirrors and light brackets seem to have been chucked away off the hoist rams.It also drops suddenly once every other day I use it.I had previously posted on a quick drop feature,however I thought the new batteries would cure the little gremlins.It starts,it charges as it should.Also the air sprung seat drops every few passes.A football under the seat will cure that