• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9r?

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
since my scraper is at the docs getting a makeover ive been demoted to a 9r, not a bad machine kinda light, but for two weeks now the air intake temperature light has been coming on, it comes on when im pushing sometimes when im ripping. yesterday we took off the aftercooler found nothing wrong the cat guy and our mechanics cant figure it out. all the fancy gismos these new machines got i figured the cat guy would hook his laptop up and presto it would tell him what part to change, guess not. has any one ever had this prob?

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Our 973C's have the same problem all the time. On one of them the wire for the sensor was grounded out, on the other machine the computer took a dump and that was the first sign that the machine was about to have 3 weeks of downtime.....

alco

since my scraper is at the docs getting a makeover ive been demoted to a 9r

Funny, any place I've worked it was always the other way around. They demoted people to scraper, and then packer.....go figure.

Brian

Deas Plant

DE-motion.

Hi, Alco.
I'm with you. I'd consider that a PRO-motion. Some places where I've worked you went down, from dozer, to scraper, to roller/compactor, to painting pegs, to the far side of 'the gate'. These steps were known as varying levels of 'penance'.

637Slayer, I think they call that sort of fault a 'Kodak' problem - let it develop. LOL.

Lashlander

This reminds me. One of my guys was operating a 235 one time and one of the lights started blinking. He called the shop and they said they'ed be right out. They never showed up so he called them again. They told him the same thing but to run it. After a couple hour the master mechanic rolled up on the job. He pulled a roll of black tape out of his pocket and stuck a piece over the light. Told the operator "There ya go!"

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
when the prob first started it would decel the engine, but now the idiot lights just blink, the mechanics first asked me about the symptoms, i told them she runs fine put some black tape over them, they werent very impressed, i just parked her for the weekend, maybe a little r&r will help her out.

Burnout

Occupation
Our knuckleheads either get our 627B's, disc or a packer.

Randy Krieg

Occupation
Test Pilot/Operator @ Caterpillar's Tucson Proving
Strada Tube Dust Ejector

Does the machine have the Donaldson Strada Tube Dust Ejector System. This system was standard on most of the R series dozers (6 thru 11). Some specially ordered machines had the Turbine dust ejector system.

If it has the Donaldson system:

Check to be sure that the strada suction tube has not broken off inside the muffler. These Donaldson Dust Ejecting Mufflers are famous for this. I have actually seen them catch the airfilter element on fire from the tube either breaking off or cracking. When they crack or break the ventury effect is lost and the muffler will start putting exhaust into the strada tubes and eventually into the aircleaner element. High intake temperatures on this system is usually a good indication that the tube is cracked.

Also important to remember these electronic engines have "auto derate" to protect them from such failures now.

Regards, Randy :cool2

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
thanx ill check that out on monday, when we took the aftercooler out and re syliconed the seal around the little radiator, we noticed some crackes around the edges that look like they could be leaking air. so naturally the cat guy needs to replace that.
for all the scraperhaters out there, you must know that the scraperhands get the women for a reason right, cause scrapers are cooool :cool2

Burnout

Occupation
Haha the scraper hands get the women....its definately a lot different than here in Alberta. Us 973 guys get the women here. We work with the packer operators and thats where the women sit with us.

And because we have cd players:cool2

cr500

I take it that this is with a later model D9R with the Heui engine? If so, the mechanic should be able to quickly check if it has shown any electrical fault codes which could cause a high inlet air temp warning to come up. He wont need the ET computer for this.
Depending on the serial number, he might be able to scroll through the machine status without the ET computer to see what temp the sensor is actualy reading. If it is reading 100 degrees on a cold day with a cold engine, then the temp sensor is buggered, but might not bring up a fault code(found this once recently).
Other wise, it is exactly like Randy Keig says. The evacuator system on the muffler.
Just a quick thing. Make sure the outlet tail pipe hanging off the end of the muffler is all the way down where it should be. If it is bolted up to high, the venturi will be above the pipe, which will blow exhaust air in instead of suck and little bit of inlet air out.