• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9g

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
It looks to me like the pin was removed and blade angled to allow the guy to get in and work.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
X2, but for a second I was wonder the same thing.

Lashlander

Thats an old manual angle blade. They were pretty common on old D6s and I've seen a few on D7s but have never seen one on a D9. I think you'd have to be careful with it.
Clean looking 9 though. Good pic.:thumbsup

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
You can see 3 lugs on the left side, one for each position with angle right in the front lug, center for center, and angle left in the rear lug.

Deas Plant

D9 with angle balde

Hi, Folks.
Almost all of my pipeline work was laying street mains for gas and oil or branch lines into towns from the main line and we used more street-friendly gear. However, I was told by quite a few ex-main line workers that angle blades are quite common on main line work for back-filling trenches.

It also appears that Buster Peterson's side-by-side dozer set-up may have been designed and built with this in mind as one of its design features.

Check this link:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=U...intsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=3661214#PRA2-PT3,M1

The gentleman who started the thread where I found this link has posted the patent application for the Peterson Siamese D8's here:

http://www.acmoc.org/ACMOC_BB/showthread.php?t=662

Worth checking out, as is the first link.

Lashlander

Hi, Folks.
Almost all of my pipeline work was laying street mains for gas and oil or branch lines into towns from the main line and we used more street-friendly gear. However, I was told by quite a few ex-main line workers that angle blades are quite common on main line work for back-filling trenches.

It also appears that Buster Peterson's side-by-side dozer set-up may have been designed and built with this in mind as one of its design features.

Check this link:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=U...intsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=3661214#PRA2-PT3,M1

The gentleman who started the thread where I found this link has posted the patent application for the Peterson Siamese D8's here:

http://www.acmoc.org/ACMOC_BB/showthread.php?t=662

Worth checking out, as is the first link.

Nice links, I found a couple photos to go with them. These are out of a book called Caterpillar Chronicle by Eric C Orlemann. Its an excellent read.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Nice pics Lashlander. I've seen the first one before but I've never seen the second one. Which do you think would be better all around as I'm sure both designs have certain benefits?

Lashlander

Wow, you got me. It seems the like the first one would push more with 4 tracks on the ground. The high walker would be a lot more maneuverable. This is the only pic I've ever seen so I don't know what blade it had. It is also made from D8s. Appearantly they weren't a big seller. Here's a couple more of a different configuration. The size of the ripper is wild. I got these out of the same book.
The D10 did away with all of them.

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Wow, you got me. It seems the like the first one would push more with 4 tracks on the ground. The high walker would be a lot more maneuverable. This is the only pic I've ever seen so I don't know what blade it had. It is also made from D8s. Appearantly they weren't a big seller. Here's a couple more of a different configuration. The size of the ripper is wild. I got these out of the same book.
The D10 did away with all of them.

Man, thats cool. Thanks for the pics. I reckon when they came out with the 9s, 10s and 11s, doing double maintenance was no longer cost effective. :beatsme

Deas Plant

The 'Siamese' D8's

Hi, Folks.
The 'Siamese' D8's were a Buster Peterson idea and there were only ever 3 sets made, all based on 2U series D8's. As I understand it, he built the original prototype using 2 Allis Chalmers HD19's, possibly so as not to waste good Cat machines. LOL.

The one in the B+W photo above is the last of the 3 and was the only high-clearance one. It was designed to work with a Holt Funnel blade in front and carry a root plow behind. The funnel dozer cleared mesquite and other scrub, funnelled it back under the tractor and left it in windrows, ready for burning. In the same pass, the rear-mounted root plow (cutter bar) cut the all the roots off about a foot under the surface, reducing re-growth and opening up the ground as well. The blade and ripper were cable controlled. It was built for King Ranch, Taxes, er, ooops, Texas.

See the attached photos.

The SxS D9's and the tandem DD9's would have out-pushed and out-ripped the Siamese D8's by somewhere close to three times. The Dual or 'quad-track' DD9s were mostly used for push-loading bigger scrapers while the SxS D9s were more useful for bulk pushing, reclamation and landscaping.

Attachments

• Holt funnel dozer on Cat D8 2U Siamese_2.jpg
    Holt funnel dozer on Cat D8 2U Siamese_2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,531
  • Holt funnel dozer on Cat D8 2U Siamese_3.jpg
    Holt funnel dozer on Cat D8 2U Siamese_3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,429

Countryboy

Occupation
Here's a couple more interesting pieces from "back in tha day". Any info or expierences would be appreciated as I find the old stuff to be pretty interesting. I've supplied the info that was listed below each pic.

Tree pusher.jpg
Tree dozer pushing over large oak tree. After the tree is leaning the blade is lowered and the roots are severed at the ground level with the knife at the bottom of the blade. This is an AFCO tree dozer attached to a 230-horsepower Caterpillar tractor.

Tree dozer 2.jpg
Tree dozer. The knockdown beam and blade on this model are operated independently by double-drum cable control. It fits the larger Caterpillar tractors. (Fleco Corporation)

pull stumper.jpg
Pull stumper. Thin equipment is attached to the rear of a tractor and is operated by a cable control unit hung from an A-frame. (Fleco Corporation)

Bush cutter.jpg
The bushwhacker. View of disintegrator tread with flails exposed.

bush cutter 2.jpg
The bushwhacker in action on a large tree. Distributed by the Willis S. Martin Company, Lincoln National Bank Building, Fort Wayne 2, Indiana.
link

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Couple more.....

pull cutter.jpg
Pull type cutter. Tractor is 150-horsepower Allis-Chalmers Diesel. This implement is very effective in mesquite.

Juniper bit.jpg
Juniper bit bolted to one end of dozer blade and moldboard. Bit is attached to Cletrac tractor.

stumper.jpg
Detachable stumper. This equipment Ate on the C-frame of any angling dozer. (Fleco Corporation)

Rotoped.jpg
The Rotaped is a track-laying wheel mounted on tractor, using standard hub fitting. consists of six links grouped round driving wheel, which lay themselves on ground as tractor moves, and remain always at correct distance from driving wheel. Track chain assembly must always be in contact with wheel.

There is always one complete link on ground giving tractor good support on soft ground.

Specifications: Weight: (Rotaped 20) 110 kg (243 lb); (Rotaped 40) 125 kg. (276 lb) per track approx. incl. driving wheels.

overhead loader.jpg
The Merton DB 30 Overhead Loader can be used not only for loading, but also for digging, dozing, hauling and lifting. Specifications: Engine: David Brown 4 cylinder, 34 hp at 1800 rpm; maximum drawbar pull (bucket empty) 9,700 lb. (4,400 kg.) Speeds: 6 forward from 1.06 to 5.72 mph (1.7-9.2 km/h.); 2 reverse. Winch: power for the winch drive taken from front of engine crankshaft. Bucket: 23 cu. ft. (0.65 m³. Shipping weight: 6 tons.
link

biggixxerjim

Nice links, I found a couple photos to go with them. These are out of a book called Caterpillar Chronicle by Eric C Orlemann. Its an excellent read.

As far as the first machine goes, how do you make anything but gradual turns with it??? The out side track would have the be in the highest gear, the middle tracks in a middle gear, and the outside track in a slow gear.... :beatsme

JDOFMEMI

As far as the first machine goes, how do you make anything but gradual turns with it??? The out side track would have the be in the highest gear, the middle tracks in a middle gear, and the outside track in a slow gear.... :beatsme

Jim
Remember, a dozer turns by skidding the tracks. Just brake the entire right hand tractor while still moving forward with the left, and it will turn right. Same principal as a standard tractor, but you skid 2 tracks instead of one (actually 3, but the 3rd is still going forward). You could even counterrotate by reversing one tractor.
Lots of resistance when turning though.