• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9G Final Drive Tooling

Daniel Davis

Anyone know where I can find a complete set of tools to tear into the final drives on a D9G? Cat quoted $13K to $15k for labor alone so I figure I might as well learn how to do it myself.

Anyone have all the special tools that they would be willing to part with or know somebody that does?

Check Break

You may find the tooling, but it's likely going to take you a while. Why not pull the ham covers intact and take them to Helena or Great Falls and have the shop pull the sprocket hubs. This way you can tear her down on your own time and if your dead axle is good, put her back together yourself. When you need the hubs pressed back on, the windshield time out and back won't feel so bad if you haven't found the tooling.

Check Break

Forgot to mention that if you're doing the pinions, you'll be digging into the bevel gear compartment and may be working on the brakes/clutches and cross shaft. CAT will be far north of $14K if this comes to be so you're way ahead doing it yourself. You might get away with an import hollow ram (eBay) to pull the pinion flanges which is significantly cheaper than the CAT gear.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I don't recall that you can pull the ham cases on a 9G. As I recall the dead axle would have to come with the ham case and that's usually a worse job than pulling the sprockets.

A warning if you want to do the job yourself. It takes 100 tons of pulling force with all the proper tools and usually a guy with a big hammer to smack the sprocket while that 100 tons is pulling.

Daniel Davis

You may find the tooling, but it's likely going to take you a while. Why not pull the ham covers intact and take them to Helena or Great Falls and have the shop pull the sprocket hubs. This way you can tear her down on your own time and if your dead axle is good, put her back together yourself. When you need the hubs pressed back on, the windshield time out and back won't feel so bad if you haven't found the tooling.

Have heard you could do this, but I wasn't sure. Book doesn't say anything about doing it that way. Just have to take the spindle nut off the dead shaft and unbolt the ham case and it all pulls off intact?

Forgot to mention that if you're doing the pinions, you'll be digging into the bevel gear compartment and may be working on the brakes/clutches and cross shaft. CAT will be far north of $14K if this comes to be so you're way ahead doing it yourself. You might get away with an import hollow ram (eBay) to pull the pinion flanges which is significantly cheaper than the CAT gear.

Yeah, hoping the pinion and pinion bearings are still good, but there were so many metal filings and chunks that the 2" drain hole was plugged up so I'm planning for the worst. How long of a hollow ram can I use to pull the flanges? 3" stroke? 6" stroke? Used Enerpac rams on eBay are pretty reasonable and I don't mind buying tools. Would a single hollow 6" 100 ton ram do all the pressing to rebuild the finals if I build the right adapters for it? Or do I need a shorter/smaller ram as well?

I don't recall that you can pull the ham cases on a 9G. As I recall the dead axle would have to come with the ham case and that's usually a worse job than pulling the sprockets.

A warning if you want to do the job yourself. It takes 100 tons of pulling force with all the proper tools and usually a guy with a big hammer to smack the sprocket while that 100 tons is pulling.

Yeah, I've never torn into a big Cat final drive but I think I can get it done. My book has all the tools needed, most of which are still available from Cat. I got a quote just for fun and it was over $28k for the tooling (mostly the porta pullers).

Check Break

The small hollow ram for the pinion flange doesn't have much throw. I want to say maybe an inch. I know I have a 30T, and maybe a 40T ???. Can't remember, but I know I don't have the 20T. You'll have to look at the CAT tool list to figure out what size ram the 9G pinion takes. The throw will be short.

I doubt a 100T hollow ram with home made tooling will pull the sprockets. TC Tractors would know. Tony had a lot of good pictures of his final jobs posted to this site but I believe many disappeared. I think your best bet is finding someone to do the pulling and pushing for you and do the rest of the job yourself. I do remember a story Tony told about one of his not so good customers who insisted he pull the sprocket while the ham cover was laying in the bed of a pickup. When she let go, the bed got severely damaged, so if you pop the sprocket off when the cover is not on the tractor, would be a good idea to lay her down on a concrete floor and take care when she jumps.

I forgot about jpaydirt until mentioned above. Here's the links. Cat Guts and New Cat Guts.
https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=hLAVy7nTROo

tctractors

Yes I have all the toys to push - pull a rim and top pinion on a D9G,the sprocket on a 9G was pressed on with a target of 60 to 65 ton so a 100 ton CAT Service Press cylinder should be fine for this task, the case with sprocket still set can be removed in 1 lump but you need to remove the oil pump first, the weight of it is a fare bit so you need to make a plate that takes up the now removed oil pump bolts with a lift eye on it, you then bolt in a lift eye on the opposite side of the case and fix chains or straps to also hook up the sprocket to lift with a dog leg frame, i have a bit of tube that would fit over the dead shaft and into the hub that guides things and protects the threads, the early dead shafts had big voids in the oil feed section that would hold a sack of metal sparkle in meaning you had to pull out the shaft to clean up, the later shafts did not have these voids so only needed rodding and flushing through to clean, the oil pipe work, one way valve and filter case will all need cleaning well. tctractors p.s. I did see a video of some Chaps that dragged a D8 or D9 some way and pushed it up on to a Low Bed then carted it miles and pulled it to bits, I would have fixed it where it stood without any messing about, we all do things our own way but why make things more trouble???? Best of Luck and do it by yourself, like I do then only an idiot can get hurt, don't follow that video on anything as they made it look hard, split the track on the rim end and drive the tractor forward to drop off the track completely, always remove the complete blade if fitted, and always join up the track at the sprocket end pulling the track back over with something with an engine is handy.

Last edited:

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I know what I need to do it, I just don't know where to find it...
Before you purchase anything , strip the dozer down to a point where a puller would be installed and wack the sprocket , give the sprocket half a turn using the motor and do it again . If you can , leave it a few days and do it again . Never know your luck . I learnt this first strike method from a guy who came to remove a sprocket on a D4 , didn't pop but would have saved time setting up the press if it had . Don't worry about damaging the bearings , they more than likely need replacing .

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
I had Cat out to remove sprocket off of my D9H about 10 years ago. They had the 100 ton press, and when it gave way it shot some part across the building like a bullet. Be safe.

John C.

Occupation
Had a Cat wrench do the same on his and my first final drive job on a 9G. 100 ton didn't do anything except create high anxiety. He told me to lay into it with the 20 pound hammer and it let go to the extent that we thought his truck was going to be dragged off the path and over the bank. Supposed to leave the nut on and loose about three threads.

Check Break

Had a Cat wrench do the same on his and my first final drive job on a 9G. 100 ton didn't do anything except create high anxiety. He told me to lay into it with the 20 pound hammer and it let go to the extent that we thought his truck was going to be dragged off the path and over the bank. Supposed to leave the nut on and loose about three threads.
Wonder what he would have done if you'd asked him to take the springs out of the swing frame.

Mbar

I bout a Hyd. Crimper from a guy in South Georgia the other week. He had the tooling for sale. 5500. I can put you in contact if you would like

tctractors

I have to wonder about things as I would have pulled down every type of F/Drive on CAT and loads on Komatsu Tractors and never ever had an issue with anything let Fly, I would have burst down and pressed up at least 200 sprockets that is allowing 10 a year for 20 years, but I have been doing them for a lot more than 40 years, in the 1980's I would do at least 1 a week without any trouble, the D9G has big chunks to contend with, the sprocket itself is something you don't need to man handle, the thing with any Earth Moving kit is the bigger it is the easier it is to handle as you need a form of lifting equipment. tctractors

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
I have to wonder about things as I would have pulled down every type of F/Drive on CAT and loads on Komatsu Tractors and never ever had an issue with anything let Fly, I would have burst down and pressed up at least 200 sprockets that is allowing 10 a year for 20 years, but I have been doing them for a lot more than 40 years, in the 1980's I would do at least 1 a week without any trouble, the D9G has big chunks to contend with, the sprocket itself is something you don't need to man handle, the thing with any Earth Moving kit is the bigger it is the easier it is to handle as you need a form of lifting equipment. tctractors
As big as they are their sprockets don't seem to take a greater tonnage to pull than a small dozer

John C.

Occupation

That's why it pays to have a professional do the job!