• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D9G engine overfilling

Frankhaddad

Cat D9G 1971 ish, Serviced a few months back so I know it had proper fluid levels, Customer complained about the starter malfunctioning so long story short I put it back in after repairs, checked fluid levels to find engine overfull and transmission low, Not tons of expierience with these, Volvo never had a dozer line, Noticed that the connection between the two is a universal joint. I would assume then it would be coming from the converter? Rear main seal bad?

Looking for any wisdom at this point to determine the problem. Thank you for any input.

Bluox

Pull the plug on the torque divider and be ready for 10 gallons of oil.
if you get more that 2 gals pull screen and scavenger pump .
Bob

Frankhaddad

Thanks Bob, is this a common theme with machines of this vintage? How much of a process is it to change? All ears, Frank.

Bluox

I'm guessing you mean a 66A machine ?
What do you want to change?
To access the torque divider you need to drop the back pan and go at it from underneath .
The plug is on the bottom of the torque housing and the screen and pump are on the back side toward the transmission below the drive line.
If there is not much oil in there don't need to pull pump.
Bob

dozer777

Occupation
operateur de bulldozer
Cat D9G 1971 ish, entretenu il y a quelques mois, donc je sais qu’il avait des niveaux de fluide appropriés, le client s’est plaint du dysfonctionnement du démarreur si longtemps que je l’ai remis en place après les réparations, vérifié les niveaux de liquide pour trouver le moteur trop plein et la transmission faible, Pas des tonnes d’expérience avec ceux-ci, Volvo n’a jamais eu de ligne de bouteur, J’ai remarqué que la connexion entre les deux est un joint universel. Je suppose alors que cela viendrait du convertisseur? Joint principal arrière mauvais?

À la recherche de sagesse à ce stade pour déterminer le problème. Merci pour toute contribution. [/CITATION]
Merci Bob, est-ce un thème commun avec les machines de ce millésime ? Dans quelle mesure est-ce un processus de changement? Toutes les oreilles, Frank. [/CITATION]

dozer777

Occupation
operateur de bulldozer
Cat D9G 1971 ish, entretenu il y a quelques mois, donc je sais qu’il avait des niveaux de fluide appropriés, le client s’est plaint du dysfonctionnement du démarreur si longtemps que je l’ai remis en place après les réparations, vérifié les niveaux de liquide pour trouver le moteur trop plein et la transmission faible, Pas des tonnes d’expérience avec ceux-ci, Volvo n’a jamais eu de ligne de bouteur, J’ai remarqué que la connexion entre les deux est un joint universel. Je suppose alors que cela viendrait du convertisseur? Joint principal arrière mauvais?

À la recherche de sagesse à ce stade pour déterminer le problème. Merci pour toute contribution. [/CITATION]
[/CITATION]

Frankhaddad

Thanks for the info Bob, customer hasn't used it all season and is now asking what will it take to get it moving again. it is according to what I have written down, 66H.