• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8R new tracks

ugis

hey OP, these men will give you the best help you can get on the internet, but it's clear you're not telling the truth and holding your nose high. logically, this pisses everyone off.
While following this topic, I still didn't understand whether the problem is that there is no time or money for a quality repair.

Robert0769

hey OP, these men will give you the best help you can get on the internet, but it's clear you're not telling the truth and holding your nose high. logically, this pisses everyone off.
While following this topic, I still didn't understand whether the problem is that there is no time or money for a quality repair.
Kiss my ass and Merry Christmas

JaredV

I don't deal with numbers, I'm just an operator and a driver and just write down what I did for the day so I don't have an opinion one way or another on this. Except if I've learned anything in this business, it's that there's no one right way to do something. Everyone has their own way of doing stuff and if someone has found a way that works for them and their customers, more power to them.

JPV

I don't see a problem with his plan, I don't know why he should park his cat just to wait for shiny new tracks when it's not hard to wrap that set of cheap serviceable tracks on and make some money while he waits for shiny new tracks. The only mistake he made was putting his idea on the internet and asking for opinions...

Robert0769

I doesn't look like the op was looking for opinions, he has enough opinions of his own.
FWD
Correct, this post was asking about SALT PPR vs non PPR and replacing only one side vs two sides. Not telling me I'm charging too little and should be able to afford more then telling me I'm charging too much or a liar when I stupidly converse with those telling me that.

Robert0769

The problem is cat says they can't get tracks for at least a month, maybe 2. So I can order and hope they show up in a couple months or pay 14k in freight for 2 weeks.. or I can buy aftermarket but again 2-3 weeks.. meanwhile I'm slot pushing and slope tracking with tracks in the condition of the pictures I sent earlier which has 3 spots where the pin is completely crushed on the ends and many of the bushings were walking out of place. That's the problems. Right when I was about to drop 40k for aftermarket I found the used for 10k. I don't lie about anything and I made something of my life. I wasn't handed anything and regarding amounts of money, the choices were (between trans and tracks) $100k vs $40k if getting used tracks. But I guess people wanting to spend another 60k of other people's money explains why there aren't many doing what I do. Common sense. If people get pissed off because I do what I do, maybe they should get licensed and learn the trade.

Shimmy1

Robert, I never once said anything negative about you putting used tracks on. I actually think that you did a good thing by doing that. Where you lost me was your insistence on continuing to operate this machine with a failed transmission. Totally irresponsible in my opinion, but whatever. The other problem I have is, off the cuff, a 3 or 4 day job making you $80k is obviously not something to frig around at, and you taking the chance on that dozer laying down is ridiculous. Once again, in my opinion. I've been moving dirt for 35 years. From the outside looking in, some aspects of this don't add up in my world. Namely, you relying on a machine with something as substantial as a transmission on it's deathbed to keep this operation afloat. You probably have done all this stuff you speak of. Great. Obviously there won't be any consequences for you when you have to drag this 8 on a lowboy, haul it to the shop, and sit around hoping you can find something to use for the next month while it's getting fixed. Wish you luck, and Merry Christmas.

Robert0769

Robert, I never once said anything negative about you putting used tracks on. I actually think that you did a good thing by doing that. Where you lost me was your insistence on continuing to operate this machine with a failed transmission. Totally irresponsible in my opinion, but whatever. The other problem I have is, off the cuff, a 3 or 4 day job making you $80k is obviously not something to frig around at, and you taking the chance on that dozer laying down is ridiculous. Once again, in my opinion. I've been moving dirt for 35 years. From the outside looking in, some aspects of this don't add up in my world. Namely, you relying on a machine with something as substantial as a transmission on it's deathbed to keep this operation afloat. You probably have done all this stuff you speak of. Great. Obviously there won't be any consequences for you when you have to drag this 8 on a lowboy, haul it to the shop, and sit around hoping you can find something to use for the next month while it's getting fixed. Wish you luck, and Merry Christmas.
Understood, from my understanding second gear has nothing to do with first, etc. The trans is clean, has no wear material in screens or filters. There are no problems with overheating or slowing down. If I had first gear, I'd never use it. So to me, dropping 40k on a working condition (for me) trans doesn't make financial sense. If I had a ton of cash sitting around, sure. But I have other obligations and debts more important.

Robert0769

I have gauges hooked up to the trans and other ports to keep an eye on pressure.