• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8R hot trans?

Robert0769

How do you mean, model number..? I thought that all along we've been talking about a D8R....

Yes Cat is busy for 3 weeks and a different company asked for the model number of the pump/control valve. I don't see a model number tag

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Everything on that tractor is Cat-designed and built. No model numbers AFAIK. If the company is asking it indicates they have never dealt with one before, so are you going to provide the training tool for their people to learn on and be paying them an hourly rate at the same time..? Just thinking out loud.

Robert0769

Everything on that tractor is Cat-designed and built. No model numbers AFAIK. If the company is asking it indicates they have never dealt with one before, so are you going to provide the training tool for their people to learn on and be paying them an hourly rate at the same time..? Just thinking out loud.

Agreed. After I posted asking about the model number I called cat back and put myself on the waiting list. I'll wait for cat

Robert0769

Asked Cat to come out with a flow meter and anything else they can think of to diagnose. They said they'll bring it and they can figure out if it's the valve or pump

Guy gets out here, doesn't bring flow meter, does a pressure test I did and says he can't tell what y would be and there's nothing else to diagnose in any way.

Talked to management they said they'll have him come back with a flow meter.. I said no disrespect but I need to know which part to send in so they can fix it so if he can't do that then don't send him back.

Talked to a friend who used to work for cat who said they got rid of field techs with lots of experience and only kept the shop master techs so don't expect to find anything out.

We'll see if tech comes out with flow meter but other than that looks like I'm guessing at which part it is. Pump or valve

Robert0769

They sent out a different the who took off a k4 or something like that. They said the pump is dumping almost a full bucket of oil when it shouldn't be dumping any. They said the pump is bad and needs to be replaced

Robert0769

They also said the hydraulic system is full of dirt. Weird but I wonder if the person who put dirt down the engine oil fill also put it in the hydraulic oil fill.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
How would they know the system is "full of dirt?"

Robert0769

How would they know the system is "full of dirt?"

Said he cut the filter open and it's full of dirt and metal. I think it's weird since I just replaced that filter and haven't run it but I wasn't able to be there, dad passed and had to go out of town.

So I'm going to clean the hydraulic tank/hoses and replace the pump I guess. I'll call and ask where the filter is and if they have pictures

Robert0769

Just got the quote from cat to replace the pump. For labor they said it would take 60 hours to replace the pump and flush the hydrologic system.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

This cat dealer has been jacking me around since day 1 and 60 hours to change the pump sounds excessive.

I was hoping to spend a few thousand having them do it but I can't stomach 10k in labor over 1.5 weeks for a supposed professional to change it

Robert0769

Hey Nige, any chance you or someone else has the procedure for replacing the pump? Like torque specs and stuff?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I was thinking no more than eight hours on site if they brought the pump and all the seals and suction hoses. It kind of has that giant sucking sound Ross Perot was talking about all those years ago.

Nige

My 2c. The hydraulic system is full of sh1t, that much is obvious from the oil analysis.
To install a replacement pump in a system as badly contaminated as this one apparently is - that's just asking for another failure, either the pump or something else in the system.
If the dealer is quoting 60 hours (Question: Is it a quote or an estimate and they bill on actual hours.?) to replace the pump AND to perform all the necessary cleaning/dialysis on the complete implement hydrauklic system which of course includes the steering then the time may be justifiable to a certain extent.

The fact of the matter is that this particular tractor is a very tired dog. The OP has had the wool pulled over his eyes at every turn by the seller from the time he looked at buying it, that much is obvious from the amount of trouble he has had with it simply because in a previous life the tractor was not cared for. My opinion, other options may be available.

nicky 68a

Just got the quote from cat to replace the pump. For labor they said it would take 60 hours to replace the pump and flush the hydrologic system.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

This cat dealer has been jacking me around since day 1 and 60 hours to change the pump sounds excessive.

I was hoping to spend a few thousand having them do it but I can't stomach 10k in labor over 1.5 weeks for a supposed professional to change it
I have changed one of these in a good day on a D8R.Heavy old job and 8 or 10 hours.
However,my system was pretty spotless and I kept returning myself to change the filters.
In your case,it seems your system is badly contaminated and the other 50 hours of coming and going may not be enough.
I've never had to completely clean a system out on a hidrive,but it could entail removing every single hose or even rods to clean it up.
Back in 1994 we had a bonny D9H that blew a pump good style.
It unfortunately wasn't cleaned out properly and spent a year breaking down afterwards nearly bankrupting it's owner.
I believe it scored all the rods and barrels in the end.

Robert0769

I got the remove and install instructions for the hydraulic tank and the pump from Cat. I realize it's a heavy job but it's crazy simple. No torque specs or anything.

I'm going to open the tank and clean it out, look inside hoses and decide if new ones are needed then replace the pump.

Cat said it has a refund of $1,700 when I return the core however they said if the core is damaged then they'll give less which sounds scammy to me since the only time you return a core is when it's been damaged but whatever. Get it done and go to work.

As soon as I'm able I'd like to find a different D8 however by the time t comes to that I might have already rebuilt the whole dang dozer haha. Then there's always the risk of another snake salesman tricking me.

One thing I learned.. before buying a used machine pay for samples of all fluids, open up the final drive to inspect and look at all sensor connections to make sure none are bypassed.

Almost makes me wonder if I'm a rare find in when I sell a used car or something I actually fix it all up nicely and don't hide anything. Treat how you want to be treated.

I'll let you know how the install goes. I'm also buying a GoPro to film the whole thing so if the blade still doesn't lift I have proof for Cat that I did it all correctly

Nige

Cat said it has a refund of $1,700 when I return the core however they said if the core is damaged then they'll give less which sounds scammy to me since the only time you return a core is when it's been damaged but whatever. Get it done and go to work.
The idea of a Remanufactured hydraulic pump (which is what I assume you are buying) is that you have to hand back to the dealer a worn out component that is capable of being rebuilt and then to be sold again to someone else. I show the implement pump as Part Number 0R-8503. Price is just over $3k with a $1700 Core Credit. A new 9T-8346 implement Pump Gp shows as $4860.

There are three possible scenarios - Full Core Credit, Partial Core Credit, and No Core Credit. Your old unit will be inspected at the dealer against a set of specific criteria. In other words is it complete, does it rotate, etc, etc. If it passes all the inspections then you get full Core Credit, $1700 in your case. If it only passes certain of the inspections but not others then you would get Partial Core Credit, if it "fails" the inspection cirteria you get No Core Credit. So you would be in for almost $4800 under those circumstances.

The price of a Reman component of any type plus No Core Credit refund is equal to the price of a brand-new component because that's what Cat has to put into their parts system to replace the unusable one you (or anyone else) handed back, even though the brand-new one goes in a box with a "Reman" label on it. A percentage of all Reman components are actually brand-new because obviously not every old component that is handed back is in a fit state to be rebuilt.