• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8R + 463 scale 1/5,6

gulalastbilen

Thanks for all the comments,
since I´m a desk top guy 9-5, I try to work as much as possible with my hands (well have to use the brain to when modeling) during spare time.
Without any training in metalwork I try to learn from what others have done and not to be afraid to try new things.

About colors, the CAT color on 463 was to yellow so I repainted yesterday (now according to CAT´s paint code for current models).
Honest, I liked the first color more, think the new one is to dark, to brown, but it should be a correct one. Since the 463 will be towed behind my D8R I wanted to have same color on both.
Maybee the paint looks darker on a smaller model?? Did take same pics inside workshop with or without flash, the color changes dramaticly!
Will check to the real one with a paintchip.
The cylinder work will take most of this weekend to, hope to have them done within a week.

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_0437.jpg
    DSC_0437.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,680
  • DSC_0442.jpg
    DSC_0442.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,660
  • DSC_0443.jpg
    DSC_0443.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,660

Per Eriksson

Jag har en korrekt färgkod från akzo nobel om du vill ha den, "nyaste" catgula
Beställer färg därifrån när jag bättringsmålar maskiner.

gulalastbilen

Per, I have a Berkley code 1156 that should be CAT yellow used today. Please send your Akzo code and I will check with my supplier.
Dan

gulalastbilen

Last update before this weekends construction show in Stockholm.
All main component are ready för 8 hydraulic cylinders.
From left to right are:
-blade cylinder
-2x2 ripper cylinders
-2 lifting cylinders for 463
-pushing cylinder for 463

Still missing is another 3 cylinders, the 2 lift cylinders for blade and one for apron on 463. Have not found tubing in right dimensions yet for those.

All have been cleaned and ready to be glued togheter (yes I will glue them) have had good expirence of that when buildning models before. Will use a glue Araldite 2014 designed for metal to metal and capable to withstand oils and chemicals.

Did also check the blade togheter with arm to keep blade in position. The oversized bolts between arm and blade will be changed to something more prototype looking.

More pics to come after show.

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_0468.jpg
    DSC_0468.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,570
  • DSC_0453.jpg
    DSC_0453.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,561

gulalastbilen

Hi Scott (and all others), the show was good, the old stuffs got a lot of attention, as usual.
My models was well recived to, amazing how many people that could show models progress during last years with photos in their mobiles.
This was the second time I showed the models public, first time with both D8 and 463 togheter (for me to since I keep them at different places).
A common question is "when will we see them running", last year I said within 2 years, this year I had to say maybee 1,5 year. Everything takes longer time now, the macine is so filled up in body. There will also be added all details like lightning, steps , handles to the machine.
I will take it a little slower from now, my 1:1 equipment needs some attention to.

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_0050.jpg
    DSC_0050.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,494
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,495

dirtpusher9

Occupation
blademan
Wow Dan, I was hoping it wouldn't be that long before you had it up and running, I'm ready to see what it can do. Very nice work.

gulalastbilen

thanks Joe, possitive comment makes me try harder, but as most people, I have other things that takes my time. But looking at others fellows modeling, like yours, make me also try harder.
The 1.5 years of complition time is based on how long time some components did take last winter, like cylinders. And speaking of cylinders, was not shure if gluing was right after all, the tilt cylinders rear part didn´t hardened as it should so I built a test stand. It had been more time efficient to buy a 600lbs scale but this was $250, with the 200lbs at $25, I had to spend a 2 hour in shop making the test rig (scale shows 1/3 of force at cylinder).
It turned out that the only one that failed the 600lbs test was the tilt cylinder, so it will have the rear end changed.
Why testing with 600lbs? To be on the safe side when running the model, there will be a force in cylinder as high as 500lbs (50bar oil pressure) and I don´t want a breaking cylinder with oil all over the model. Now I know that it will work.
Thanks again for visiting and making comments, I appriciate it:notworthy
Dan

(did try to upload a pic with test rig but if failed, don´t know why)

dirtpusher9

Occupation
blademan
I know what you mean about not being able to post pics any more. It doesn't seem to mater anyway, but I would like to see the rest of your build. You should post your work on Gardentruckingforum.com. it would be a big hit over there. Keep up the good work. Dan

gulalastbilen

Thanks for the comments, still slow activity in model workshop, need to take care of house during summer.
Tries to upload pic of test stand for the cylinders.

there´s also 2 pic from my friend (same as 988B in video) and his new model, a Volvo A35E in 1:6,5 scale

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_0476.jpg
    DSC_0476.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,600
  • DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,771
  • DSC_0140.jpg
    DSC_0140.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,675

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
un-believable!

I just had to make a post in this thread so I would rememeber to check on it.

Great work, Very talented.....if you dont mind me asking, what is it that you do 9am-5pm?

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Please dont take this post as critisism, but i am surprised there is not a little deisel motor made to take the place of the gas honda ?

Pj

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
They do make little diesel engines but I don't know if finding a hyd pump to work with one would be possible.

gulalastbilen

Thanks for all comments,
About diesel engines, believe me I have looked for one that are same size as the gasoline ones, but all diesels are bigger (comparing engine size). The dozer had to be built in 1:4 scale to make room for a diesel. Connection between engine and pump is the same (maybe different adaptors) so that´s no problem.
My Honda is an 85cc and this one is too big but with modification on inlet and exhaust side and removing all unnecessary parts like fuel tank that comes with engine I have managed to get it in. Still has to prove that cooling is sufficient, the Honda takes air in front of engine and pushes it rearwards (and up thru all holes in engine hood. In 1:1 it is the reverse, pushing air out in front of machine.
This Honda has a built in gearbox, with 3000rpm on engine (max torque) gives 1500rpm to pumps.
9-5
Well, I´m working in a marketing department on one of truck builder in Sweden, Scania. This brand is not so know in states but i guess there is a 500+ trucks running in north eastern states (Scania is on top ten lists of truck manufacturers worldwide). I have been at this company for 29 years now, 17 of them working with sales to customer. But it is my interest for technical solutions (also useful for a salesman) that pushes my model building to higher level for each model.
Next model will be with more gearboxes and other new skills that have to be learned, I try to live with “you learn as long you live”!
Update on D8R
Working with the drawing on front guards, this 2 doors will be operational (has to be), need to open to start the engine. I would like to have an electrical starter but there´s no room left for it or a battery.
The front shield parts will be laser cut and tin soldered together.
Have started looking for R/C to the model, Futaba /robbe has one called FC-16 that looks good with programming possibilities, anyone having any experience from this radio?
The need to steer both tracks with same or different speed/direction shall be possible to program into one of the joy sticks. The other one will be used for blade or ripper control.
Have a nice Sunday
Dan

gulalastbilen

Hi, finally some modeling done, have had a very warm summer to be in Sweden but now it has chilled down.
Did testmounting of cab doors and got all cab solder togheter (a new expirience).
Was out taking some messurments on a 1:1 CAT this afternoon, got pics on machine togheter with 463. If they will run tomorrow I will take some hours off from work and go and see them working togheter. Will try to get some video coverage and will try to post on Youtube (have never done it before).

next step is to make the hydraulics complete (mount all connections and hoses, build oiltank in machine, detailing the cab, final fabrication on hubreductions, .......................and so on).
Enjoy pics on the real one!

Dan

Attachments

• DSC_0051.jpg
    DSC_0051.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,464
  • DSC_0054.jpg
    DSC_0054.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,392
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,393

JDOFMEMI

Thanks for the update. I have been following since you first posted, and your project is looking good.
The 1:1 version is very clean looking. First time I have seen a scraper hooked up with the ripper still attached.