• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8K - transmission oil in engine oil- 5 gallons per 12 hour shift, please help!

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
I recently did a major overhaul on my oldest K, put all new seals in the read end. Seal and thrower, bell housing gasket etc. Well I brought it up to the bush yesterday and ran it about 12 hours so far and it pumped about 5 gallons of trans oil ( I luckily run 15-40 in the tranny) into the engine oil pan. The torque operates fine, scavenge isn't lagging in flow. I've seen it many times where the rear seal is worn and engine oil gets into the trans. But I've never seen trans oil go in to into the engine! Please help, any ideas?

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Mine did it with hydraulic into the engine. Had to rebuild the hydraulic pump. There are two seals there. One keeps engine oil out of hydraulic while the other keeps hydraulic oil out of engine.

Had a rear main seal go on my D7 which let engine oil go into torque converter housing which sent it to transmission.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Internal seal went out of my D6H torque converter was having oil running out around my starter.So maybe the seal in the back of the motor is letting torque converter oil in the motor that way.Mine it leaked the extra oil out around the starter.

Bearing went out inside the convertor and took the inside seal out.Found seal pieces when took bottom line off convertor.

surfer-joe

It's most likely the transmission pump. That's the pump over there just to the right of your right foot, mounted to the bell housing. I've replaced dozens of those over the years on D8's and D9's. A pretty common problem really. Not really rebuildable, best thing is to just buy a new one and some o-rings and move on. The pump doesn't have to be making any noise or be malfunctioning in any appreciative way. It's just leaking.

Old Magnet

Most likely is the transmission pump. Trans pump mounts to the front of the rear power take-off housing (hyd pump on rear) which is open to the engine. Only one seal and O-ring # 8m5252

Here is a pic of the pump if all works.....

D8K-Transmission-Pump.jpg

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Thanks for the input guys. I was kind of thinking tranny pump. But wasn't sure what to think, because I had one go on me a few years ago and it was actually sucking motor oil and air in through the seal and made my transmission oil go black on me.

I took the pump off and pulled it apart this morning, there's quite a grove worn in the shaft where the lip seal sits. Cheap chinese junk parts. Pumps only 2 years old, no wear whatsoever on the inner workings. Just where the seal sits. Guess I will change it and see what happens.

tctractors

The bushings (bearings) on the drive shaft gear often suffer damage, the after market pumps are not bad for the coins but the best bushings are the CAT ones, the Italian made pumps in the U.K. cost about £220 -£260, the CAT pumps are near £2'000 both items come with the same 12 month warranty, so I tend to stick with the cheap crap, as its easy to replace and often manages to keep going to the next big breakdown, I have in the past fitted CAT bushings to Italian made pumps, this has made them a great but still cheap set up, it is worth checking out the suction line to the pump, there is a few O rings around the screen that get stuffed up (knackered) also to check out the pipe that clamps to the case means dropping off the under guard and the strap linking onto the front guard, often the maincase at the point where the pipe clamps can get blocked up with bits of brake band, so drain the oil and stuff your hand in its worth checking, unless yoy know its good ??? also the suction line is clamped about half way up to the chassis, so check around for damage, I know your problem is oil transfer but I always check the job out.

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Well! Changed the tranny pump. No oil transfer in over 40 hours of running now. Old 77V2945 is running like a top once again! Thanks guys.