• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

d8k oil problem

chris dials

hi all.
ive got a d8k, that after parking for the winter we fired up to get ready for spring.
we found 2 problems that werent there/or werent obvious when we parked it.

1 - it seems that the transmission fluid is finding its way, rather quickly into the oil pan...
found this out when i checked oil and it was good, fired it up and checked trans fluid and it was good. let it run for 15 or 20 minutes and then it wouldnt move, checked trans again, not even on the stick. shut it down but no leaks or puddles, so i checked engine dipstick and im about a foot over the full mark. added a couple gallons to tranny to double check... fired it up for just a minute. trans empty again and engine even fuller. ive read that it could possibly be a pump seal? anybody have this issue before?

2 - i also noticed when first firing up the old girl that the oil cooler has tried to seperate at the seams and is oozing milky oil out. what could cause this thing to push apart? im pretty sure the milky oil is due to the cooler pushing apart and the water getting to the oil, however my engine oil isnt milky like the stuff here

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What part of Oregon are you from. It hasn't been much of a winter in Washington so freezing up has to be questioned depending on where you are. Transmission pump is the likely problem with the tranny oil in the engine.