• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Spalinko

The best thing that could be done with an D8 of that vintage after being tracked 60 miles (probably with no precautions being taken to monitor final drive temps, oils, etc) would be to turn it into a boat anchor. It's probably all it'll be good for.

When you go into the back end make sure you have a decent-size shovel ready. You'll need it to dig the all the metallic debris out.

I hope you have a large bank account. You're going to need it. Best of luck.

Temps were good pressure was good all the way out there it did sit for a few years before it was ran again and then these problems started.

Dave Neubert

I'm confused is this a direct drive or power shift. oil filling up final drive is pinion seal on final drive most likely loose pinion bearings. You say that it pops out of gear and grinds. that makes me think it is a direct drive if it is trans has to come out and be rebuilt. Steering could be your steering clutch seals did you replace them when you had the steering clutch out normally loose bevel gear bearings will knock out the seals

MattR

I'm confused is this a direct drive or power shift. oil filling up final drive is pinion seal on final drive most likely loose pinion bearings. You say that it pops out of gear and grinds. that makes me think it is a direct drive if it is trans has to come out and be rebuilt. Steering could be your steering clutch seals did you replace them when you had the steering clutch out normally loose bevel gear bearings will knock out the seals
His pictures show it to have a Powershift selector tower

Dave Neubert

Thanks it pops out of dear because the neutral safety valve is detecting low pressure check pressures have you pulled the magnetic strainer and checked it yet

Spalinko

Over the course of several months, I worked on this bulldozer, only to uncover a significant issue: the transmission’s last gear pack had suffered irreparable damage. Consequently, first gear remained nonfunctional, and stearing wasnt availible I belive as a result, and the entire transmission teetered on the brink of failure. In the field, I executed a transmission replacement, adapting it to accommodate the older model of the replacement unit.

The bulldozer has faithfully served for the past few years. Now, as part of its ongoing maintenance, it is receiving new rails, pads, and sprockets. Fortunately, most other components were virtually brand new when I acquired it. Reflecting on the journey, I’m relieved that I didn’t consign it to the fate of a mere boat anchor.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I am curious to know how driving it 60 miles would automatically destroy it.
So you don’t see a problem driving a 60 year-old dozer 60 miles “over a mountain range” (to quote the OP) with a failing/failed transmission coupled with a dodgy rear end.? And that is before one starts to take the subject of undercarriage into consideration. The good thing about tractors from that era is that everything is repairable provided that you have money, parts, and a man with tools who knows what he’s doing. Of the three the last factor is probably the most important. Whether the OP has someone like that available I have no idea.

.RC.

So you don’t see a problem driving a 60 year-old dozer 60 miles “over a mountain range” (to quote the OP) with a failing/failed transmission coupled with a dodgy rear end.? And that is before one starts to take the subject of undercarriage into consideration.

No I do not have a problem with a machine of that vintage being driven 60 miles (your post mentions vintage, not condition), especially when back when that machine was new, long hauls between jobs would not be uncommon as cartage and roads were not what they are today. Even around here back in the 1990's a company roaded some 660 scrapers a hundred km to get to a new job. Back in the days pre internet I remember reading about an expedition in Antarctica and I am not sure what they were but were either D6H's or a D7H's and all they did was pull a sled train on the expedition.

I am sure if someone stuck any machine in third gear and flat out for 60km things might not go well, but 3rd gear and 1\3 revs I always found a comfortable travel speed.