• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8-2U Help!

Hotwheels81

Got given a antique D8-2U cable dozer in wonderfully complete and semi straight condition :rolleyes:

I can get the pup motor running fine and it still spin's the big 6 diesel but have no luck getting fuel to the injectors, it builds pressure on the fuel pump gauge (and yes there is fuel to the filter housing and the filter "looks" ok) but it does not make it to the injectors... even had the injectors out of the head and dumped a bit of fuel into the holes and when i spun it over again it fired rite away... i pulled one then two then three injector lines off of the pump while cranking and no fuel came out... :Banghead

im thinking there is something i am missing, aside from the decompression lever and the hand throttle there are no other linkages i can see that would kick the pump on? maybe somewhere along the trail a previous owner/op chopped another control rod off? :beatsme

would be nice to see this old beast run so any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated!

Old Magnet

Sounds like classic case of stuck rack and/or pump plungers. Take the side cover off the injection pump housing and check to see that the rack moves and plungers go up and down. May have to do a little coaxing with screwdriver and your favorite penetrant.

surfer-joe

I agree with the others. You will have to make sure that the rack is not stuck in the shut off position. If you loosen an injection line while turning the engine over and it does not spray or dribble some fuel, that's a sign that the rack is stuck.

This would not be uncommon with an old tractor that hasn't run in a long time. But you will have to change filters, and I'd drain the fuel tank, flush it, and put some fresh fuel in before doing much more.

Good Luck!

grandpa

could be just air, if memory serves me right where the injector lines come outa the pump there should be a funny looking nut that you crack loose to bleed the air out. Each injector line will have this bleeder on it. If still no fuel than problem with pump