1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

D8 14a corrner bit identification

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by ZGrant231, Dec 14, 2021.

1. ZGrant231

ZGrant231 Well-Known Member

Both my local dealer and caterpillar customer care are unable to find the corner bits i need for my ex military 14A, #9A1872. When I bring a picture in of the vin tag 9A1872 the kid behind the counter says that vin doesn't exist.
    I send the picture to caterpillar customer care and they are unable to locate it as well, But old magnet can find the 14A number equipment without breaking a sweat... so I give them old magnets information of 14A3861 and up direct drive and they tell me they need the "actual VIN" to obtain the correct part. So frustrating!

I'm hopeful some one can help me out finding these corner bits and hardware part numbers.

Screenshot_20211214-132339_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211214-132531_Photos.jpg 20200921_144351.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Old Magnet

Old Magnet Senior Member

I'm kind of guessing here with no blade s/n but normal 8S blade for the 14A is a 44Cxxxx s/n. Uses a 3G8311/2 Right and left end bit 7-bolt 1J6761 and 2J3506 nut using the latest (not original numbers)

John Shipp likes this.
  3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    3G-8311/3G-8312 are replaced by 4T-6671 (RH) & 4T-6672 (LH) respectively.
    Below are the measurements. Hopefully that will help you confirm if they are the correct ones.
    upload_2021-12-15_11-6-25.png
    upload_2021-12-15_11-10-7.png

John Shipp likes this.
  4. ZGrant231

Looks to be different, as D and E are located in different positions.

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I suggest that you don’t take the drawing as gospel, it’s more an indication of what measurements are what. Try with your tape measure and see how they compare.

If the measurements are different then post up a sketch of what you actually have.

Alternatively if there is a Serial Number plate on the back RH upper corner of the blade that would help.

6. Old Magnet

Old Magnet Senior Member

I show the 3G units as being 1-1/8" thick and designated General Duty. The 4T units as Finishing not that it makes a huge difference.

7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

The 3G numbers are cancelled by Cat. They may be available aftermarket though.

upload_2021-12-15_18-11-27.png

8. Old Magnet

Old Magnet Senior Member

Try "Regal"..
    3G8311.JPG 3G8312.JPG

9. ZGrant231

CORPS OF ENGINEERS, U.S. ARMY
    N: SCART??ER (maybe scarteier) HOUSING
    ENG. 7 &8
    MAKE: PRECO INCORP
    MOD. RMP-5
    DATE MFD. 0/58
    NOM. BULLDOZER TR MTG (or MIG) CABLE GPR (or CPR)
    MAKE: CATERPILLAR
    MOD. 8S

Attached Files:

10. Old Magnet

Old Magnet Senior Member

If Preco Incorp is the manufacturer of the blade I have no idea where you would find the specifications. Hopefully it was built to Caterpillar 44Cxxxx specs.

11. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Based on the 3" between centres measurements shown on your original photo below the end bits on your blade are not the 3G or 4T ones we were talking about above. They are 4" between centres on the lower row of bolts.

If you like I can have a poke around in my GET catalogue and see if anything comes up. I would need more info though, any or all of the measurements shown below would help. Also what diameter are the bolts.?

upload_2021-12-17_11-38-9.png

John Shipp likes this.
  12. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

The problem is the old stuff is not easily found in the SIS system (or isn’t in it at all) and takes digging. Your parts counter person is clearly not used to finding the older tractors and doesn’t recognize the old serial number formats.

13. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Problem is that 9A1872 (aka 09A01872) shows up as a D336 engine in either machine or industrial configuration, not a track-type tractor.

In other news I may have found a couple of candidates for the end bits. If the OP wants to check these measurements against his end bits I think one of the possibilities on the attached page from the GET Handbook might fit. Slightly different sizes and thicknesses but all basically the same bolt hole pattern. Some use 7/8" bolts, others use 1" bolts.

Attached Files:

John Shipp likes this.
  14. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

I had a serial number of something more modern the other day show up as an engine in SIS 2.0, and trying to force it to the machine didn’t work right. Still some in it at this point.

15. Check Break

Check Break Senior Member

16. mark rasmuson

mark rasmuson New Member

makes a differance if its a strait blade or angle blade