• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7G ripper issue

chris_james

Greetings. I have a 1989 army surplus D7G. I can't get the ripper to move up or down. How the lines flex when the lever is moved. If you move it in the up direction the up pilot line has pressure same for the lower .when you try to move it however the ripper doesn't move but the pressure lines jerk. When i used a gauge to check pressures the needle jerks then back to 0 to fast for me see . The spool in the valve in back next to the ripper is fine. I can move it back and forth the springs on the top and bottom are good aswell. I am unsure where to go from here. Would appreciate any and all advice

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Has it moved before ,or like this as long as you have had it?

chris_james

There us no pin keeping it from moving. Yes the ripper has worked before. The last time it was out on a job. They had issues with it before they completed the job. Then it sat at the shop for a while no one bothered to mention it had a problem till it was getting to be loaded up for another job

chris_james

Ive taken it down and it was clean. Put new Orings in before putting it pack together. forgot to mention that in my original post.

Dave Neubert

Possibly seals blown on pistons on rams I had a crane that would not boom up but hoses would jump and that was the problem

d9gdon

None of the lines have been off
Did you look at them to see if they are hooked up correctly anyway? Don't want to overlook something simple.

Also, did one of the ripper lines get kinked or bent shutting off flow? Did a big rock flip up and crush one of the steel tubes?

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Piston seals
Or possible piston off a shaft
Other cylinders are locked until they build enough pressure to off set
Piston off or seals destroyed eliminates that.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Does the ripper have both lift and tilt cylinders..? If so are they all not working or just the lift cylinders.?

Have you tried temporarily un-pinning the cylinder rods and see what happens when you operate the control.?

Also try operating the ripper and hold the control lever in one position, up or down it makes no difference, for 2-3 minutes with the engine at high idle. Then go and (carefully) touch the cylinder barrels. Is one or both of them hot in approximately the location where the piston ought to be.?

chris_james

Does the ripper have both lift and tilt cylinders..? If so are they all not working or just the lift cylinders.?
Have you tried temporarily un-pinning the cylinder rods and see what happens when you operate the control.?

Also try operating the ripper and hold the control lever in one position, up or down it makes no difference, for 2-3 minutes with the engine at high idle. Then go and (carefully) touch the cylinder barrels. Is one or both of them hot in approximately the location where the piston ought to be.?
It just have lift no tilt

Delmer

If you find anything warm, you could disconnect the lines to that cylinder and cap them at the machine side, leave the cylinder hoses going into a bucket hopefully. It should lift with one good cylinder if the other one is disconnected so it can't bypass.

Or, if you don't find anything warm, disconnect the common supply line to either the raise or lower, and put the pressure gauge there, to tell if the valve is supplying pressure, because you couldn't find any heat in the cylinders.

chris_james

Well it turned out. They both rams had broken off. After i had unpined it. Forgot to give yall an update after i did it.