• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7 17a Streering clutch

LG 78

Hi team Got another Query for those who are in the know
My hydraulic unit was leaking and have had it re bushed and sealed, however I think a bit of oil made its way onto one of my clutches. My father says he used to just put the drain plugs in (under the housing) and put some petrol in drive round a bit and drain it out.
Some of these fellas did some good stuff in their day but Im bit worried about the release bearing etc in there being exposed to petrol if I tried this method of solving the problem.
Anybody else have any ideas on stopping it from slipping?
It did pull a 40 tonne load of fert up a hill the other day so not slipping too bad just enough to be a pain
Cheers

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Its been done many times using Diesel fuel. I've freed up clutches using that method. Not sure I would use gasoline. Just put enough in so the bottom of the drums run in the fuel as it spins. No need to fill it to the bearings. The axle bearings should not be exposed in the dry clutch compartment so any splashing diesel should be fine. The linkage will get enough lube from the diesel fuel.

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hi team Got another Query for those who are in the know
My hydraulic unit was leaking and have had it re bushed and sealed, however I think a bit of oil made its way onto one of my clutches. My father says he used to just put the drain plugs in (under the housing) and put some petrol in drive round a bit and drain it out.
Some of these fellas did some good stuff in their day but Im bit worried about the release bearing etc in there being exposed to petrol if I tried this method of solving the problem.
Anybody else have any ideas on stopping it from slipping?
It did pull a 40 tonne load of fert up a hill the other day so not slipping too bad just enough to be a pain
Cheers
Try kerosene , better on the seals than petrol . There is a fire risk with petrol to .