1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

D7 17A Final Drive

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by LG 78, Aug 21, 2022.

1. LG 78

LG 78 Well-Known Member

HI team
    I should have sold the old girl but anyway..
    I heard a knock in the right hand side final drive
    Just drained the oil and this came out
    Do I just take the drive off and replace it with the one off my spare parts machine (which is still complete and running) or do I do a bit of investigating and try to fix this one Looks expensive
    Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. 56wrench

56wrench Senior Member

If you can, i would pull the complete assy off your parts machine and change the whole assy out and then assess the damage to the original one at your leisure after the machine is back up and running

Mcrafty1, randy448 and LG 78 like this.
  3. LG 78

LG 78 Well-Known Member

Maybe the easiest way forward, I am thinking of using the same hub though so that I dont need to change sprockets over so might look into taking it off first and see what lies beneath

4. Dave Neubert

Dave Neubert Senior Member

You need a cat press to take it apart and put it together you can pull the whole cover and sprocket off in one piece but you will most likley damage he seal. It takes at least 70 tons to press sprocket off. If your top pinion is bad you will have to pull steering clutch to replace it clutch hub has to be pressed on and off too

John C. and DB2 like this.
  5. epirbalex

epirbalex Senior Member

peasant
    Not a good idea to wreck a going machine . Is it possible to load up the running machine with the good bits from the failed one ? Never know when the other final drive may fail . Big dilemma , I can see a need for a third dozer , one not running .

balls2go likes this.
  6. LG 78

LG 78 Well-Known Member

Yes very true on that 3rd machine epirbalex
    Is anyone keen on having that conversation with my wife?

D5Dan, 56wrench and bccat like this.
  7. Puffie40

Puffie40 Well-Known Member

Looks like the complete face of a gear tooth. Hopefully it's from the bull gear and not the pinion, but either way that is the beginnings of a death rattle from that final, and immediate service is needed.

General Gear in Boise (tractorparts.com) should have some 17a's in his wrecking inventory.